Connecting TD200 and Laptop at the same time

Rocco

When programming the S7 224 CPU with a TD200 attatched I am having to use a serial switch box to switch between the TD200 and the laptop. I would like to be able to monitor the program with the laptop while the TD200 is still attatched.
Do any of you guys know an adaptor, either one from a manufacturer or one you have made yourselves, that could achieve this task. By the way the TD200 takes it supply through the link. If any of you have made your own then a pinout would be great.
Cheers

Why do it the hard way ?
Get another serial port for your laptop in the shape of a PCMCIA card, or a USB adapter.

NB: The USB serial adapters are not guaranteed to work with all serial devices. A PCMCIA card with a serial port has a better chance of succes.

NB: Does the TD200 use the same port for the online connection and for downloading, or does it have two ports ?

The easiest way is to use a PLC with 2 ports. The connection between the TD and PLC is RS458. You sould be able to split out the 9 pins and connect to it. If you are using the PC/PPI adapter, I am not sure there is enough power to power up both, the adapter pulls power from the PLC port. The port also powers up the TD200.

Is PPI RS232 ?

If so, then I think I can imagine your problem.
When commisioning a system with an S7-200 + TD-200 you constantly have to change the cable connections:
1. Put the cable between the PC and the TD to download the HMI application.
2. Then put the cable between the PC and the PLC to download the PLC application.
3. Then put cable between TD and PLC to test how it works.
4. If you need to change something, then go back to 1.
and so forth..

You would have to make a 3-way switch box, but it must be possible to do it. All you have to do is to locate the Rx, Tx and GND in each connector and make the right connections between the two currently selected.