Configuring Stratix 5700

zacslade

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure a stratix 5700 to operate under the following parameters:

- ethernet port 5: private subnet 192.168.1.x
- ethernet port 6: private subnet 192.168.2.x
- ethernet port 7: private subnet 192.168.3.x
(each of the above ports has a stratix 5400 immediately downstream)
- stratix should pass traffic freely between subnets. I'm thinking this can be accomplished by setting each one to subnet mask 255.255.252.0
- gigabit port 1: one-to-one NAT to public IPs on factory network

I've got basic knowledge of networks, etc., but I'm by no means a networking expert. Here's what I've tried and encountered so far.

In the express setup, I gave the switch its public IP address. The public IP address is attached to VLAN 1 by default. I put ports 5, 6, and 7 on VLAN 2, and gave the switch a private static IP on VLAN 2 (192.168.1.1 was free).

Right away, the stratix 5400 on port 5 stopped working. The entire network downstream of port 5 lost communications. After talking with support, we got the network up and running by making the following changes:

- Ports 5, 6, and 7 configured as smartports with preset configuration for switches
- Spanning tree mode on the 5700 was set to MSTP
- Spanning tree mode on the 5400 was set to PVST

That worked, and the three subnets were all talking to each other. However, checking the port settings, ports 5, 6, and 7 have been automatically configured as trunk ports and do not appear to be associated with any specific VLAN.

I don't know what the implications of a "trunk" port are, but it seems to be working at that level, so I'm on to the next step.

I set up a NAT on gigabit port 1 with access to all VLANs, and filled out my translation table. Unfortunately, my IT department hasn't configured their upstream switch to tolerate this stratix 5700 on the plant network, so the best I can do is plug my laptop directly into the gigabit port and test that way.

Right now, if I plug my laptop into any regular port except for 5, 6, and 7, I can access the stratix 5700 webpage using the IP address I gave it during express setup. However, if I plug my laptop directly into the gigabit port, I can't ping the stratix or the downstream devices on it.

My top priority for the moment is to get access to the 5700's configuration webpage with my laptop connected to the gigabit port. If I set that up, then I can do the rest of the configuration remotely when IT gets their switch set up.

Questions:

- Is there a setting somewhere in the Stratix 5700 that enables access to the webpage through the gigabit port?
- If I want the gigabit port to be the public side of my NAT, then do I need to make a public VLAN and put the gigabit port on that VLAN?
- If I make a public VLAN and put the gigabit port on that VLAN, then should I also give that port access to the public VLAN on the NAT settings? Or is it assumed that it has access to that VLAN, because the port is assigned to it?
- In order for devices to talk through a NAT, the NAT should be set as the gateway for those devices, right? So in a perfect world, ports 5, 6, and 7 would be on VLAN 2 and the switch IP for VLAN 2 would be the gateway address for the private side of the network. But if they are trunk ports, then what switch IP do I use for the gateway?
- Should ports 5, 6, and 7 really be trunk ports?
- What is the magic setting that gets this configuration to work the way I want it to work?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: