Laptop stands/Pedestals?

PeeLC

Hello PLCNet,

I was wondering if someone uses any laptop stands which are portable and can be taken to odd locations inside plants. It's really frustrating balancing laptops on random surfaces.

Any helps is appreciated!
-PeeLC

I know a guru who uses a TV dinner table for that purpose.
Most of the time it is folded up against a wall in the server
room . . . but when he needs it there it is.
Poet.

A very large OEM customer of mine uses something that looks a lot like this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16S-0006-00014

Something crazy I just noticed is that the price was a lot cheaper before I cut off the extra bits of the link, so definitely don't pay $800+ for it

They just have a half dozen of them in the shop for anyone that needs to use one for their laptop. Definitely not portable, but I don't really think anything that would meet my portability needs would also meet my on-site needs.

EDIT: The desks they have includes the dual monitor holder, desk area with handbrake style adjuster for height (sit/stand), and the secondary tray that some would use for a keyboard but that I use to hold the panel drawings. It looks nearly identical to the one linked except the desk area is shaped differently. It has some slogan laser etched on it and a website that is not Ergotron.com, but I forget what it is.

Last edited:
I setup a customer with the HMI on one of these:
http://www.standupworkstyle.com/standing-desk/mobile-standing-desk-on-wheels/

That way it could be moved around to access the multiple tanks it controlled. Runs on a powercord to a UPS, WiFi to a router in the first tank cabinet.

Just, for use outside an office replace the casters with larger, heavier duty wheels.

I suggested to the head QC Engineer there that she get one of the treadmill desks, as she left her desk frequently to walk laps around the building when she was sitting too long. Plus if the monitor were powered by the treadmill it would save electricity too.

Last edited:
The best $45 I ever spent on tools:
https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furnit...ocphy=9026222&hvtargid=pla-326699736394&psc=1

I got mine at Sam's club, but they don't always stock them. It is at standing height, but that is ideal for most of my commissioning work. I had a big label that has a schematic for a proprietary RTU that I stuck to the top of it for a mouse pad and it is perfect.

The only problem with it is that it is so handy, everyone working around me will pile their tools and parts on it alongside my laptop.