CLX L61 redundancy

shrirampendse

Hello all,

Requesting help from all CLX guys. This is my first prj with redundancy on L61. Though I handled CLX for many projetcs , Till now I didnt encounter redundancy.

I have RSL5000 proff version V16. The hardware is chassis 7 slot, single power supply,CLX L61 , 1757 SRM, CNB , ENBT all qty two each. All IO's are on rIO chassis to be connected thru controlnet. I have gone thru the redundancy guide and trying out the things. In the sample prj on redundancy , AB people have NOT configured RSM in chassis.
My initial problems are:
(a)In Hardware config of the project 1757 SRM does not appear in catalog even though I installed the EDS for SRM and selected redundancy option on controller properties.
(b) As per manual v 16.57 is required, but on controller properties we cant change the minor revision.

Does it mean that we need NOT to show SRM in chassis config?
Help welcome.
Help from Local AB people is not available for obvious reasons.
Thanks

Last edited:
Can you browse the SRM module with RSlinx?
You may need to flash the SRM with the latest firmware.
It doesnt appear in the I/O config in RSlogix5000.
Also make sure the CPU is flashed with a firmware version higher than v16.5

.5 onwards supports Redundancy

Thanks Graeme,

Harware is ordered, not received yet. I will make use of your suggestions. I also need to install Redundancy configuration tool so as to VIEW SRM in RSWHO. Only then I can proceed. Till that time I am developing the code .
Thanks

If this is new hardware, why aren't you using the latest hardware?

the new RM, EN2T, and CN2 modules would work much better (and faster).

I belive even soon that there will be an EN3T.

Your attention to detail is admirable, and you are correct that both of the issues you cited are not important to the controller.

The 1757-SRM or 1756-RM Redundancy Modules are not inserted or configured in the I/O tree in RSLogix 5000. They are transparent to the controller and do not have I/O connections, therefore they do not appear in the I/O tree.

Only the major revision of the controller needs to be configured in RSLogix 5000. The controller needs to have the Standard Redundancy firmware installed in it, but there is no configuration step required in RSLogix 5000 other than enabling Redundancy in the Controller Properties.

I agree that Enhanced Redundancy is a more powerful platform, but that's a decision you apparently have already made.

Rockwell Automation has twelve offices in India, including a local sales office in Pune.

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/gs/ap/gsind.nsf/pages/Pune

Just found this out ...

The 1757-SRM is now in Silver Series support.
So the only future option is the 1756-RM.

CLogix Hot-Backup system

I have configured numerous hot backup systems in the last few years. The 1757-SRM Redundancy Modules cannot/do not have to, be configured in the I/O tree in RSLogix5000. Some suggestions based on past experience

- Download the latest Redundancy Bundle – Firmware and the instructions from the Rockwell web site, knowledgebase/hardware firmware downloads, (Standard – V16.53 if you are using SRM module or Enhanced – V16.80)
- Install all the firmware on your computer.
- Put the racks together with the hardware – 2 processor racks and the IO racks.
- Make sure that you power-up only one rack at a time and configure the Ethernet cards IP address using the BOOTP utility.
- Power ONLY one rack at a time and flash the processor, Ethernet, ControlNet and redundancy modules. Repeat the same process for the 2nd processor rack.
- Flash the ControlNet card in the IO rack(s).
- Once all cards are flashed, power-up only one of the processor racks and download the PLC program to it. The RSLogix5000 program, IO tree should have all the IO cards in the IO rack(s).
- After the program is downloaded, turn the 2nd processor rack, on power up it to detect the primary rack and synchronize. Make sure that the fiber optic cable between the SRM modules is connected.
- You will have to run RSNetworx for ControlNet and schedule the controlnet network. For this step make sure that all IO racks are powered up.

Some potential pitfalls
- For a hot backup system, you need to have at least 4 active controlnet nodes on the controlnet network, including the 2 processor racks.
- The 2 processor rack controlnet cards have to be set to identical address, during power up, after duplicate node address is identified, one of them is disqualified and assigned the next address. For eg, if you assigned both processor controlnet cards node address 5 using the rotary dial, then one of them would show up as node 6 in RSLinx after initial power-up. Hence do not use the next sequential node address for any device on the system.
- Always configure the IO rack controlnet address lower than the 2 processor racks, eg. IO rack controlnet cards can be 3, 4 and the processor rack controlnet node should be 5, this way you guarantee that the IO rack controlnet card is the active keeper on the network.

Have fun ......:)

Thanks for all the replies to my post.
Here the Local AB offices are interested in handling the projects themselves, hence We freelancers cannot approach them for any help.
We buy the hardware and software from them and commission the projects ourselves.

Here the Local AB offices are interested in handling the projects themselves

Interesting, that is/has happened a bit that I have heard of. Makes it tough for the integrators when their suppliers are competing with them...