Finding a reliable 32-bit USB to Serial for a VM

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have VMs with XP, but I sold an old laptop and 32 bit USB to Serial Converter to a customer who needed it. I went back to a known supplier for the converter and their website no longer works. Do you know of a good, 32 bit converter that works consistently?

I'm looking forward to reading that topic when I get home tonight. I did a quick search before I left, but I only saw older posts. I have to say, I'm very happy with my 64-bit converter. I just need one that has a 32-bit driver. I'll probably get three of them when I find a good one. That one posted above looks pretty good!

Do the USB to Serial care about 32 or 64? I've never thought about it and maybe have just been lucky from living the good clean life and haven't had any issues.

Okay, the good clean life part might be a stretch or flat out lie.

Do the USB to Serial care about 32 or 64? I've never thought about it and maybe have just been lucky from living the good clean life and haven't had any issues.

Okay, the good clean life part might be a stretch or flat out lie.

At least some adapters don't have drivers for all systems. Years ago needed 2008 driver for USB adapter. Vista driver installed to system since there was no 2008 driver, but adapter was awfully slow.
Needed to change adapter to different chipset and manufacturer which has driver also for 2008 listed.

Another problem can be that VMWare don't have full support for USB3.

If adapter is 3.0 version, then it maybe work or don't work.
But if there is USB2.0 hub between computer and adapter, WMWare thinks that adapter is also USB2 and is recognized allways 🔨

Of course you can connect adapter to host system via virtual com port on VMware, but sometimes it is easier that adapter is connected directly to virtual windows.

Last edited:
I have not had a problem with these so far in or out of a VM - VMWare in particular - I paid for it. Does not mean a problem cannot happen of course. Microsucks updates cause most of them LOL!

I was intrigued by this one... it has two com ports. I'm trying to recall if I've ever needed two serial com ports at the same time. I know I've worked on a plastic extruder that needed Ethernet for the AB PLC, and serial for the programming port of the HMI. And an automated saw that needed an AB serial splitter, so I could keep the HMI plugged in while using DF1 for watching the program (that's a temperamental piece of equipment!). But I'm wondering if I'd ever need two serial com ports at the same time.

It's cheap, it uses the FTDI chipset, it says it works on all the OS of my VMs, and it gets lots of great reviews. Anyone have thoughts?

I'll probably get a Triplite one, too. Again, it's cheap, and the folks recommending it have my respect.

TwoPorts.png

That's pretty cool! I could easily get carried away with getting adapters that I might need. I get excited knowing the possibilities. But, if I wait until a customer needs it for me to fix his issue, then I add it to his bill. Otherwise, I buy it. Some of the basics, like a USB to Serial, or the complete AB connection kit are a safe bet. I even bought some USB to Ethernet connectors to keep my Ethernet connections simpler when I'm in VMs.