IODD and plc tags

blueberry

Hi, I am relatively new to IO link devices and is working on a SMC pressure regulator. The IODD file is nice and easy to config the device but I would like to use the PLC to control this device. (I am using balluff master block)
Here are the questions:
How do you generate tags using the IODD file? I can see some parameters in the text file but have no clues how to use them.
</Variable>
<Variable id="Gain" accessRights="rw" index="66" defaultValue="9">
<Datatype xsi:type="UIntegerT" bitLength="8">
<ValueRange lowerValue="0" upperValue="15" />
</Datatype>
<Name textId="V_N_Gain" />
<Description textId="V_D_Gain" />

</VariableCollection>
<ProcessDataCollection>
<ProcessData id="P_ProcessData">
<ProcessDataIn id="PI_ProcessDataIn" bitLength="16">
<Datatype xsi:type="UIntegerT" bitLength="16" />
<Name textId="PD_IN_PD_IN_data" />
</ProcessDataIn>
<ProcessDataOut id="PI_ProcessDataOut" bitLength="16">
<Datatype xsi:type="UIntegerT" bitLength="16" />
<Name textId="PD_OUT_PD_OUT_data" />
</ProcessDataOut>
</ProcessData>
</ProcessDataCollection>

This device does not come with an AOI which is why I am trying to find a way to read and write to it. Any help would be appreciated !

The Iodd file is only a definition for the io link master on how to communicate and process the data the io link device produces.

If you want the data in the plc you need to process that further from the io link master, not the iodd file. How that happens depends on the plc manufacturer and the end device you have.

Start with telling us about which plc you are using. And the part number of your io link master.

Balluff BNI EIP 508 105 z015 with AOI BNI006A is my master block
5069 L320ER is my PLC
ITV2050 ION2N X395 is the regulator
Some say to use MSG instruction, but I am clueless what to fill in those boxes!

This is the manual for the Balluff block you listed. Starting on page 12 it walks you through how to setup the block in Studio 5000.

https://assets.balluff.com/WebBinary1/MAN_BNI_EIP_50x_105_Z015_EN_J19_DOK_933690_02_000.pdf

Follow those steps, a bit map is a few pages down. When you get this setup you need to upload the IODD file to the Balluff block to tell it what device is hooked to the IO link ports. This is explained on page 47 of the manual as well.

You dont need to use the message instruction, if you set up as listed in the manual, all of the tags are created for you for operation. They are generic, so you will need to refrence the data tables to determine where each bit is and what it does.

Last edited:
Dock,

I do not have any problems setting up the master block. Most of the equipment I have worked on are from balluff and almost all of them have aoi to use. This time I am using a SMC device which does not have any AOIs.
What I do not know is how to line up/use a device index/sub index to create my own plc logic/aoi.

This manual shows you the bit map for the pd in and pd out registers that are created when you add the master baluff block. Sorry to be vague but the manual hosts what you need. You will read the data from the ITV at the process data in. You will write to the ITV using the Process data out.

https://content2.smcetech.com/pdf/Manuals/DIT-69900-OM005.pdf

You will have to manipulate the data within your program to get what is meaningful to you, we can’t help you with that without knowing exactly how you are trying to use it.

Hi Dock,

So to make thing simple,
PDI/PDO each has 2 bytes of data. But where do they start in the port 1 tag made up by balluff?
Index and subindex, what are they? how do you line up to balluff port 1 tag? For example if I want to read Gain, how do you write it?
How would you write plc code to read write PDO/PDI.

have you figured it out yet?
I ran into a similar situation here is what I found out.

The index and subindex has to be setup via messaging and trigger those once will put the value into the right registers. On the Balluff master you can send the value to the register and read it, then use the same register on the messaging block.

you should be able to read the input register on the balluff webpage and compare that data to the read register on the Balluff AOI.