Panelview 900 shutdown

AskUs

What might cause a Panelview 900 (2711-K9A2) to shut off? The reset button will restart it. It has started to shut down regularly and I fear, one of these times, it will not come back on. The panel veiw is used in a water treatment plant to control filter process and monitor/control water towers. What are the steps to replace the Panelview? Can the programming be easily transferred from the old unit to a new one? Thanks in advance.

No. The Panelview just shuts down and doesn't responsed to any function until it is reset. This unit has been running continuously since 1997. It only recently has exhibted this behavior.

There should be some LEDs on the backside of the unit that tells you the status of the comms (green is good). At least this can tell you if the unit has died or is just sleeping.

It should be possible to do an upload of the user program and load it onto a new unit.
You need either "PanelBuilder" software (licensed) or the "WinPFT" utility (freeware ... I think) to do this.

I think the panelview 900 is now obsolete. However, I am sure you can purchase one from your AB distributor.

The 2711-K9A2 is DH 485 communications. You will need the panelbuilder software and a 1747-PIC module to upload/download
the software.
Another option is to get a PCMCIA memory card and download
the program to the card. To get to the conifiguration screen
press the left and right arrows at the same time.
Once you get the program on the card install the new panelview
and download the program from card to the new panelview.

Before you do all this check the power connections to the panelview.
Make sure there is nothing loose. Also change the backlight out.
They tend to die after a while.

If you are to upload/download the running application, be aware that you probably will have to change the firmware setting in the uploaded application before a new panel will accept the download. Changing the firmware setting should have no effect on the uploaded application.