1746-INT4 In a Remote Rack

plcengineer

I have a 7 slot main rack with a SLC5/04 in it. Also, I have a 1746-SN Scanner going to a 7 Slot Remote Rack with an ASB. In this Rack @ Slot 2, I have a 1746-INT4. From what I understand, I need a BTR and BTW to get data to and from this card. I really don't understand the M files but I think I have to use them. What would a Block Transfer code look like for this card? What about the configuration data for the INT4? Does anyone have sample code for a card like this in a remote rack?

I have the rack set for Complimentary and 3/4 Rack. So, where will the data come in to the main processor. I am confused as to how the remote rack addressing works. In the remote rack, I have in slot 0 ASB, Slot 1, 1746-IB16, Slot2 1746-INT4, Slot 3 1746-IA16.

Thanks,

Greetings plcengineer,

I’m sure that we can help with your problem ... but to do this, we’re going to need a LOT more information ... and the information is going to have to be VERY detailed - and quite a bit less ambiguous than what you’ve posted so far ...

case(s) in point:

I have a 1746-SN Scanner

not very likely ... I assume (gosh I hate that word) that you meant to say a “1747-SN Scanner” ... that’s probably just a typo on your part ... we all make those from time-to-time ... but the point is that if you also “typo” some of the other information, then “all-bets-are-off” as to whether we can successfully help you with your project ... moving right along ... we also need to know if your 1747-SN Scanner is a “Series A” or a “Series B” ... reason: the “Series A” doesn’t support Block Transfers - the “Series B” does ...

and ... if we can be sure of EXACTLY where in the local chassis the 1747-SN is located, then we can show you EXACTLY how to address the M0 and M1 files ... without that detailed type of information, the best that we can do is give you general hints - and tell you which book to look in for the detailed answers ...

In this Rack @ Slot 2, I have a 1746-INT4.

depending on how you’ve got the DIP switches on the ASB Adapter set, “Slot 2” could be located in more than one physical location ... if you want to know more, research the topic of “two-slot, one-slot, and half-slot addressing modes” ... also, when you “counted over” to the location that you’re currently calling “Slot 2”, did you (or did you NOT) count the ASB slot as “Slot 0”? ... your post makes it look like you did ...

I have in slot 0 ASB, Slot 1, 1746-IB16, Slot2 1746-INT4, Slot 3 1746-IA16.

secret handshake: when using an ASB Adapter, you should NOT count the first-far-left (ASB) slot at all ... hint: using an ASB changes the (remote chassis) slot assignments from the numbering system that uses an actual processor in the (local) chassis ...

plan of attack: first of all please tell us EXACTLY what hardware you have - and EXACTLY how it is assembled ... ALL of the hardware please - not just the parts that you’re having problems with ... in some (rare) cases, there are compatibility conflicts which can keep you from using one type of module in conjunction with another type ... and please use LETTERS (not numbers) to identify the slots in all of your various chassis (plural) ... note that the slot NUMBERS can be shifted by various DIP switch settings ... using letters instead of numbers can keep things easier to discuss ...

for example:

MAIN chassis:

slot A = SLC-5/04
slot B = 1747-SN/B Scanner
etc.

REMOTE chassis:

slot A = 1747-ASB Adapter
slot B = 1746-IB16
slot C = 1746-INT4
etc.

next ... please tell us EXACTLY how all 24 of the DIP switches on the 1747-ASB module are set ... this is usually the place where minor errors can ruin your chances of success ... be careful that you identify the correct DIP (1, 2, or 3) when recording and/or setting these things up ... they do NOT go from left-to-right on the module ... I’ve seen people make that particular assumption and get the settings for the 1 and 3 DIPs reversed ... the actual number is printed right there on the circuit board ... (no offense intended ... you’re probably already aware of this ... but I HAVE seen this factor cause needless confusion ...

side trip for an ugly story: the engineer back in the office listed the settings for SW1 and SW2 and SW3 ... the mechanic out in the field set the DIPs in that same left-to-right order as listed on the plans ... but on the ASB’s printed circuitboard the DIPs are numbered from right-to-left ... so they go SW3 and SW2 and SW1 ... oops! ... “must be a bad 1747-ASB module” ... they ordered another one - but before they installed it, the mechanic just (you guessed it) copied the same “off-on” DIP switch settings from the first ASB module over to the replacement ...

finally (for now) ... unless there are “trade secret” or proprietary constraints, it would be a GOOD idea for you to post your existing .RSS file ... that’s the best way to make sure that any of the addresses that we ultimately recommend in the future do not conflict with any of your existing data table assignments ...

and you might want to take a look at this thread ... and this thread ... a quick comparison between those two threads should show you how complicated this particular topic can become when the required information isn’t nailed down ... and how relatively painless it can be if we’ve got all of the information that we need available to us ...

What about the configuration data for the INT4?

please tell us about the types of thermocouples that you want to use, and the scaling that you need, etc. ... we can help with that area too ...

we look forward to hearing from you ...

Last edited:
Main Chassis 7 Slot
Slot A SLC5/04 Series C
Slot B 1746-IA16
Slot C 1746-IA16
Slot D 1746-OA16
Slot E 1746-OX8
Slot F 1747-SN Rev B

Remote Rack
Slot A 1747-ASB
Slot B 1746-IB16
Slot C 1746-INT4
Slot D 1746-IA16

I haven't set the dip switches yet. However, I know that I will set them for 57.6Kbaud and Complimentary I/O enabled. So far in the PLC, GDATA, I selected a 3/4 Rack.

Thanks,

we're getting a little bit closer ...

I will set them for 57.6Kbaud and Complimentary I/O enabled.

why “complimentary enabled”? ... I don’t think that’s going to fit your hardware ... unless maybe I’m missing something here? ... is there another remote chassis that you haven’t mentioned? ...

from page 4-6 of the 1747-ASB User Manual ...

comp.JPG

take a stab at those 24 DIP switches when you get a chance ... it’s going to be almost impossible to nail anything down until that step has been done ... and what “Logical Rack” and “Starting Group” did you specify in the G-Data? ...

I want to use J Thermocouples, Measure Deg F, and I will divide this number by 10 to get the correct reading. Do you need more info?

I set the remote rack up for Rack O Group O. NO, there are no other racks on this system so maybe I don't need complimentary I/O enabled.

from the wild guess department:

is this section from page 4-5 confusing you? ...

comp2.JPG

yes, I know that it sounds crazy ... but you actually are supposed to set the switch for “complementary” if you are NOT using complementary addressing ... the only time it is set otherwise, is if you ARE using complementary AND you’re setting up the PRIMARY chassis ...

Do you need more info?

yep ... those aggravating DIP switch settings ... suggested plan of attack: print out the worksheet on page C-2 at the back of the manual that I linked above ... then go through the section of the book on setting the DIP switches step-by-step and pencil in the settings on the worksheet ... mark down what you KNOW you want ... and tell us where you’re just guessing ...

post the results and we’ll continue on from there ... I’ll be leaving soon - and probably offline for a day or so ... but I’m sure that there will be someone here who can help you out ... good luck with your project ...

Now, do I need to click on the box for complimentary i/o in the RSLOGIX500? I think I may have done that when I set the RAck to Rack o Group o 3/4 rack.. let me know.. I'll get the dip switch settings..

Here are the switch settings

Sw1 All On

Sw2 1&2 On, 3 off, 4-6 On, 7 off, 8 on

Sw3 1 off, 2 On, 3 off,4-5 on,6 Off,7 off, 8 on

tks,