Omron CPM1A PLC - Data Logging

fez

Hi,

I am using an Omron CPM1A PLC to control a quality control station. I am interested in logging the I/O ports in real time. I was told by the Omron rep that it is difficult to do this using this model of PLC because it doesn't support RS232. The only way to log data according to him was to use VB. Does anyone know how to do this? My programming skills in VB and syswin are weak, so the more detail that can be provided, the better. Thanks.

Not to sound like your vendor, but the next model up, CPM2a, is nearly identical in size (except the CPM1a has a 10pt I/O model and the smallest CPM2a has 20pts) and it comes with a RS232 built in. This might just save you a ton of time and trouble.
Just food for thought...

CPM1a, I/O points: 10,20,40,60
CPM2a, I/O points: 20,30,40,60 with RS232 port
the price is not too far off either
John

To connect to your PLC you need adapter (about $120) to RS232 .You can use MS access to collect data with the right driver.For VB application you will need this driver too.(DDE)

Anyone know how to connect rotary encoder to CPM1A? I've tried using PRV to read the value, but i can't read the value in the memory. I used PRV (0 0 DM100). My encoder is Omron E6B2-CWZ6C. help please
Thanks!