How do I configure ethernet communication to a new MicroLogix 1400?

FSPT_Tech

Hi All.

I'd like some help on trying to communicate with a AB MicroLogix 1400 controller (cat. no. 1766-L32BXB) through ethernet. This is the first time I'm having to load a program onto a 1400 right out of the box. I've gone online w/ 1400's using Ethernet before in the past by configuring my RSLinx driver to communicate with the loaded program's IP address. But since this is a new processor "right out of the box", I'm assuming there's some sort of configuring of the processor that needs to be done before I can communicate w/ it in RSLinx. But I don’t really know what to do.

When I power up the processor (24 VDC) itself, I was expecting to see something show up on the LCD display that’s on the front of the controller. But there’s nothing, it's blank. The only things I see are the green "POWER" and red "FAULT" LED lights come on. I’m assuming that's normal because, to me, it indicates the controller has power and is faulted because it has no program. I really don’t know what to do at this point.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me to at least get my PC (using RSLogix 500) to communicate with this new processor so I can load my program onto it.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks iant.

But as I stated, there's nothing showing up on my LCD screen when I power up the controller. Does this mean I have a different kind of problem? Defective controller maybe? Or is there something else I need to do to power up the LCD screen?
Thanks again!

I don't have a processor in front of me - it is 10:50 AM here.
I will be at a site this afternoon with a 1400
I will post he answer then - If someone else has not helped you yet.
There is a bit to turn on the back light
Have you loaded a program that disables it?

Thanks iant.
No, I have not loaded any programs. I actually just took it out of the box and powered it up with a 24 volt power supply on my bench. That's all, nothing more. I appreciate your help. I can wait until you have time to look at a 1400 yourself. I'm in California, U.S.A. and it's almost time for me to leave for the day. I can check back with this thread tomorrow to see if you were able to assist me any further (or if any others offer any help). Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

You should see somthing on your LED screen. Sounds as though you have a bigger problem.

I just powered one of these up on my desk a few days ago and used bootp to configure the IP. I do remember the screen displayed as soon as it was powered up.

Just discovered the problem with the blank screen:

The 24 volt power supply I'm using is too low current (only 7W). I took it to a bigger power supply and....whala!

Well, that's my fault for not trubleshooting the easy things first (like correct power). Dopey me!

Anyway, I'm gonna try and configure the ethernet address tomorrow as iant recommended.

I'll see if I can take it from there and reply with my report of success or more questions.

Thanks for your help iant and DamianinRochester.

I appreciate the support!

I am glad of that - looks like I won't be getting to that Job until next week - the IP setting is fairly easy