How Do I Read This Block?

SLaubach

Being new to Siemens and only taking the Programming 1 class i do not know or understand how this block works.
could someone please explain its function.

thanks scott

[attachment]

s7 block.jpg

Scott:

This is an example of a function block call when the FB is declared. If you open the declarations window at the top of FB20 you should be able to see which function block you're dealing with. Then you can open the block to see what's inside.

With FB20 open move your mouse towards the top of the screen. Just before you get to the toolbar it should change into the resize window arrows. Click and drag it down and you'll see the list of declarations.

Hate to burst your bubble. This block is called from FB20 and is, most likely "Protected" by the manufacturer. If you drag your mouse over the box and right click, select "Open Block" and it will attempt to open. My guess is you will get "Block Protected" It appears this is a function written for a German built printing press. They are well known for using "Know_How_Protect" to seal the functions to protect the warrenty and to keep people from modifying their code. This block is the control block for one unit on your press and can be used as many times as you have units. If it opens, the declaration area will be on the top of that block and will have the text seen that generates the "Handles" on the block call in FB20. BTW, there is also a DB# Data Block associated with each call to the Function Block. You may open that online and look at what data values are passed through the FB.

If it has been protected with the "Know_How_Protection" then it is possible to remove it.

If you would like this done then please email me.

Steve.

RRobbins said:
Hate to burst your bubble. This block is called from FB20 and is, most likely "Protected" by the manufacturer. If you drag your mouse over the box and right click, select "Open Block" and it will attempt to open. My guess is you will get "Block Protected" It appears this is a function written for a German built printing press. They are well known for using "Know_How_Protect" to seal the functions to protect the warrenty and to keep people from modifying their code. This block is the control block for one unit on your press and can be used as many times as you have units. If it opens, the declaration area will be on the top of that block and will have the text seen that generates the "Handles" on the block call in FB20. BTW, there is also a DB# Data Block associated with each call to the Function Block. You may open that online and look at what data values are passed through the FB.

German it is which is making it even harder to work with because of my lack of Siemens knowledge. Fortunatly this block was not protected but others are within the program.
SL

If you know how to use the Archive feature in Step 7, if you can archive it and don't mind me taking a look - see at it, email it to me and I will send you back some comments.

You are sorta there. At the top of your picture, it has LAD/STL etc. and it tells me you are inside of FB20. The box you are looking at is accually a Function CALL, not a Function BLOCK. How did I know? above the FB there is ALWAYS an instance DB# or symbol for the DB. If it is not there, it is a FC. Drag your mouse over it above the text (symbol) at the top and it will tell you the FC#.

Scott

Can I suggest that you view this block in STL, then I believe that the first line will be a call

Call SFC1 (I have used SFC1 as an example) that's the English version

or

Ruf SFC1 - that's call in German.

You will then be able to find out which block this network applies to, open that block up and it might assist you.

a bit like the jump to FB's in S5 or call a sub routine.

If all the annotation is in German why not try http:/freetranslation.com

If you look in OB1 you should find a jump or call reference to FB20.

Good luck

Paul

Not to confuse the issue but, if you want to see where the FC or FB is called, open a block and use OPTIONS\REFERENCE DATA\DISPLAY. you may need to go to FILTER and add whatever you want as cross reference and program structure.
PS> SFC1 is a system function and is built in and connot be opened. It is used to read the system clock. I have a nice routine that uses SFC1 and puts the date, hours, Millisec, etc into integers, so you can use compares and HMI interfaces are easier, if you would like to use it.

RRobbins said:
If you know how to use the Archive feature in Step 7, if you can archive it and don't mind me taking a look - see at it, email it to me and I will send you back some comments.

Sorry RR this would violate our security policy, thanks for offering though.

SL

Any time you see the pound sign (#) within an FC or FB it is identifying an address from the declaration table. When function blocks are used, an Instance DB is required for every call of that block. In order to reduce the number of DB's used in the program you can declare a function block as a STAT parameter in the declaration table of another FB. This makes the block appear in the Multiple Instances folder of the program elements browser. This way the data for the called block is included in the instance DB for the calling block, reducing the number of DBs in the program, but not neccessarily the amount of memory required for them.