Slc 500 to controllogix indirect conversion with 1403-nsc

jstibbits

I am struggling with the conversion of the program used for the 1403-nsc smart card for Allen Bradley's power monitors. We are upgrading an entire system to an L8 processor.

I am struggling with the conversions like N[N12:0]:3 from the SLC to N[N12_0][3] for the controllogix. This is used a lot too N[N12_0][0].15 which is N[N12:0]:0/15 in the slc

I used the studio 5000 migrate tool and no matter what I do it is throwing fits.

I am using the code from D-11 in the manual.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1403-in051_-en-p.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum !

There's no easy way to directly convert this logic. You can adapt it to ControlLogix 2-dimensional arrays, but the automatic conversion tool isn't going to handle it.

Are you using the 1756-DHRIO or the newer 1756-RIO module to handle the Remote I/O networking ?

And I'm curious... why the 1756-L8x controller ? As I understand they are really only beneficial for very high networked motion control axis counts.

Welcome!

L8...Nice!

What sort of "fits" is it throwing?

Are there any "PCE" (Possible Conversion Error) or "Unknown" instructions after the conversion and if so, have you been working through them to convert the logic to compatible Logix programming?

Your N Integer Data Files should have been converted to DINT arrays...

Example:

N7 with 100 elements ==> tagname "N7" data type DINT[100]

N7:0 element ==> N7[0]

N7:0/5 bit ==> N7[0].5

Indirect Addresses...

Data Files do not exist in the tag based Logix controllers so there are no longer Data File numbers to reference indirectly. As the conversion tool cannot convert an indirect file number reference a PCE instruction is added on the rung to point this out.

Example:

Your aforementioned N[N12:0]:3 is an indirect reference to N12:0 for the file number Nx:3. This will not convert.

The Data File N12 will have been converted to a DINT array "N12". Also, any indirect references to elements within N12 will have been created as an alias, so "N12:0" becomes alias "N12_0" to the new array element. So you can still use the new N12[0] or N12_0 alias as your pointer. However, the addressing of the indirection will now have to be converted to Logix programming.

All Nx Data Files are now Nx DINT arrays with the equivalent number of elements. Some of these arrays now represent the different N file numbers that N12:0 was pointing to.

The SLC indirection syntax would allow N[xx:x]:x as a valid file number reference, but because the new arrays are referenced by a tagname, such as "N7", you cannot just indirectly reference the "7" any more. The whole tagname would have to be referenced. So feeding a number into the new N12_0 pointer will not work as it is now an alphanumerical string you are dealing with in the tagname.

As Ken has mentioned, the best way to convert numerical indirection is to create a 2 dimensional array which will reinstate numerical references to point to using the original pointer.

Example:

SLC...

N7 = 5 elements N7:0 - N7:4
N8 = 5 elements N8:0 - N8:4
N9 = 5 elements N9:0 - N9:4

N12:0 = pointer to 7, 8, 9

Logix...

N7 = DINT[5] array
N8 = DINT[5] array
N9 = DINT[5] array

N12_0 = alias pointer to 0, 1, 2

Tag "FileNumber" = DINT[3,5] (2 dimensional array)

FileNumber = [3 x array members,5 x elements deep]...

2D_Array_Indirection.bmp

So now, to indirectly point to any of those elements, you can use the N12_0 pointer as follows...

Example:

N12_0 = 0

FileNumber[N12_0, 0] = FileNumber[0,0] ...which represents the new N7:0

N12_0 = 1

FileNumber[N12_0, 2] = FileNumber[1,2] ...which represents the new N8:2

N12_0 = 2

FileNumber[N12_0, 4] = FileNumber[2,4] ...which represents the new N9:4

Here is a couple of basic examples that have verified...

Example_Logix_Indirection.bmp

Of course, the new tagnames do not have to remain as N anything. You can rename them to more meaningful tagnames if you wish.

There are always a few gotchas with these conversions so if anything is unclear or you need more help then ask away.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Indirect address when migrate SLC500 to Control logix 5000

Welcome!

L8...Nice!

What sort of "fits" is it throwing?

Are there any "PCE" (Possible Conversion Error) or "Unknown" instructions after the conversion and if so, have you been working through them to convert the logic to compatible Logix programming?

Your N Integer Data Files should have been converted to DINT arrays...

Example:

N7 with 100 elements ==> tagname "N7" data type DINT[100]

N7:0 element ==> N7[0]

N7:0/5 bit ==> N7[0].5

Indirect Addresses...

Data Files do not exist in the tag based Logix controllers so there are no longer Data File numbers to reference indirectly. As the conversion tool cannot convert an indirect file number reference a PCE instruction is added on the rung to point this out.

Example:

Your aforementioned N[N12:0]:3 is an indirect reference to N12:0 for the file number Nx:3. This will not convert.

The Data File N12 will have been converted to a DINT array "N12". Also, any indirect references to elements within N12 will have been created as an alias, so "N12:0" becomes alias "N12_0" to the new array element. So you can still use the new N12[0] or N12_0 alias as your pointer. However, the addressing of the indirection will now have to be converted to Logix programming.

All Nx Data Files are now Nx DINT arrays with the equivalent number of elements. Some of these arrays now represent the different N file numbers that N12:0 was pointing to.

The SLC indirection syntax would allow N[xx:x]:x as a valid file number reference, but because the new arrays are referenced by a tagname, such as "N7", you cannot just indirectly reference the "7" any more. The whole tagname would have to be referenced. So feeding a number into the new N12_0 pointer will not work as it is now an alphanumerical string you are dealing with in the tagname.

As Ken has mentioned, the best way to convert numerical indirection is to create a 2 dimensional array which will reinstate numerical references to point to using the original pointer.

Example:

SLC...

N7 = 5 elements N7:0 - N7:4
N8 = 5 elements N8:0 - N8:4
N9 = 5 elements N9:0 - N9:4

N12:0 = pointer to 7, 8, 9

Logix...

N7 = DINT[5] array
N8 = DINT[5] array
N9 = DINT[5] array

N12_0 = alias pointer to 0, 1, 2

Tag "FileNumber" = DINT[3,5] (2 dimensional array)

FileNumber = [3 x array members,5 x elements deep]...

2D_Array_Indirection.bmp

So now, to indirectly point to any of those elements, you can use the N12_0 pointer as follows...

Example:

N12_0 = 0

FileNumber[N12_0, 0] = FileNumber[0,0] ...which represents the new N7:0

N12_0 = 1

FileNumber[N12_0, 2] = FileNumber[1,2] ...which represents the new N8:2

N12_0 = 2

FileNumber[N12_0, 4] = FileNumber[2,4] ...which represents the new N9:4

Here is a couple of basic examples that have verified...

Example_Logix_Indirection.bmp

Of course, the new tagnames do not have to remain as N anything. You can rename them to more meaningful tagnames if you wish.

There are always a few gotchas with these conversions so if anything is unclear or you need more help then ask away.

Regards,
George

Hi George,

Please help explain for me more about indirect address. When i migrate SLC 500 to Control Logix , i have an error as the picture. how do i correct it.

Thanks in advance.
Khang.

indirect address.jpg Original SLC 500.PNG