Modicon M221 Word %SW50 Seconds

ControlSystems

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey everyone!
I have trouble making sense of the math conversion in this seconds tag of the Modicon M221 Real Time Clock. I thought I understood an integers binary to decimal conversion.... But why during runtime online session is this %SW50 Seconds counter going from 0 to 90 rather than 0 to 60 then resetting itself ??? Can anyone explain :oops: Thank you for reading this post

Following on from what the Dr said, the system words for time are in BCD. There's a function to convert BCD to Int.

Add a new Operation block into your ladder logic and use the BTI instruction (BCD to binary) to convert, i.e:

%MW0 := BTI(%SW50)

Will give you seconds in %MW0.

Thank you DrBitBoy and Saffa for the posts. You cleared things up for me. I need to dedicate more time to exploring the functions not on the menu tool bar.

Yeah, Machine Expert doesn't make it easy with needing to use the "Operate" blocks. Not like the good ol days of RSLogix 500 where you had a nice palette of all the instructions to hover over for a hint, and then context sensitive help after you placed an instruction