AB 3000i Replacement

JoeSearfoss

We have an AB 3000i using DeviceNet. It has been working fine for over 5 years. About a year ago we got an E01(Non-Volatile Memory) error. Power cycling the unit a few times seemed to fix it even though it says its a unrecoverable error. The last few months we have been getting E11 (Illegal Hall State) and E19 (Excess Position Error) codes. They are very sporadic. We can go 3 or 4 days and not get any codes then get 3 or 4 in one day. Mostly E11. A few times the E11 has popped up even with it sitting idle. Sometimes the codes can be cleared with a Reset. Sometimes it takes a power cycle. First thought was replace the Servo, so we did. Did not help. The cable is in a fixed path and does not move. I have checked it over well and it looks fine so I can't see it being a cable problem. It is grounded as it should be. So thinking next step is to replace the Drive.

I have a new 3000 drive to try and the Ultraware software is on the equipment. Is my thinking correct in that I can use the Ultraware software to export the old drives parameters, replace the drive with the new one and then import the parameters to the new drive ? Any other suggestions ?

Yes, you can use Ultraware to upload all the parameters to an offline file, then download them to the new drive. If you're not familiar with Ultraware, the process is a bit unintuitive. Once you connect to the old drive and it shows up in the left pane, you have to drag the icon to the Offline Drives area and it will upload. Then after the new drive is in place and shows up as online, drag the icon from the offline drives on top of the new drive's icon--this will download the parameters.

This will transfer all the DeviceNet-related parameters as well, just be sure to set the DIP switches to match. If you don't have the official Ultra 3000 programming cable, I think you can use a null modem cable with a gender changer.

Thanks for the instructions. I did read over the Ultraware manual but was not thinking that is how I would need to do it. I will give it a go this weekend.

Yes, you can use Ultraware to upload all the parameters to an offline file, then download them to the new drive. If you're not familiar with Ultraware, the process is a bit unintuitive. Once you connect to the old drive and it shows up in the left pane, you have to drag the icon to the Offline Drives area and it will upload. Then after the new drive is in place and shows up as online, drag the icon from the offline drives on top of the new drive's icon--this will download the parameters.

This will transfer all the DeviceNet-related parameters as well, just be sure to set the DIP switches to match. If you don't have the official Ultra 3000 programming cable, I think you can use a null modem cable with a gender changer.[/QUOTE

Good morning, I'm having trouble loading the new parameters to the new drive. I have created the offline file from the old drive, set the switches on the new drive, but am not able to drag the offline file into the connected drive. Any other suggestions? Thanks

If Ultraware won't let you transfer the parameters, the most likely reason is that the online and offline drives are not the same. The catalog numbers have to be exactly identical in order to do a transfer. I believe the online drive also needs to be disabled.