RSLinx Classic setup to Factorytalk Linx

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know if there is a way to import RSLinx Classic data into FT Linx? We have a quite extensive configuration set up, and it would be fantastic if it could be moved over. I feel like I'm just missing something.

Yes, Open FactoryTalk Configuration Import Export Tool

I'm not seeing how to do it. I did check that, but I can only open the '...' to select a target server, but neither local or network shows anything. I even tried opening the browser to see. There is no option to select a Linx Classic file to import or anything like that.

UPDATE: I did check permissions in the admin console for both local and network per the user manual and the permissions are there. Something else seems to be going on.

Last edited:
You need first export it to an CSV. The smart guy@AB made a macro for it.

There is a little more to it than that. The tool requires a server to be running, that wasn't installed with ControlFlash Plus or any of the other software. I still don't know what the deal is with the local/network server or how to point it to where. I called Rockwell support and the tech wasn't sure.

I wanted to make sure that I could at least share the configs once I made them. Here is the procedure I wrote up so that you can at least share the XML files between machines. We fiddled around and tried a few things and found these steps to be necessary.

1: Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Rockwell\RSLinx Enterprise (shortcut provided in binder)
2: Start-->Run (winkey + r) and type "services.msc" or use your preferred method to adminsiter services (shortcut provided in binder)
3: Follow steps 5-10 perfectly - it does matter.
4: Stop "FactoryTalk Linx Instance02 Service"
5: Disable "FactoryTalk Linx Instance02 Service"
6: Disable "FactoryTalk Linx Instance01 Service"
7: Stop "FactoryTalk Linx Instance01 Service"
8: Copy RSLinxNG.xml and RSLinxNG02.xml somewhere if you want to back them up (or delete if you don't care)
9: Copy the RSLinxNG.xml and RSLinxNG02.xml from the binder into C:\ProgramData\Rockwell\RSLinx Enterprise\
9: Set to Automatic: "FactoryTalk Linx Instance 02 Service" but DO NOT START
10: Set to Automatic: "FactoryTalk Linx Instance 01 Service" but DO NOT START
11: Reboot

There is nothing more to it. Rockwell design the utility for import/export. There is a macro to do that. You probably talked to a Rockwell guy who is located in India and most of them dont know jack. I often wonder myself why we are paying big bucks for their support anyway.

There is nothing more to it. Rockwell design the utility for import/export. There is a macro to do that. You probably talked to a Rockwell guy who is located in India and most of them dont know jack. I often wonder myself why we are paying big bucks for their support anyway.

Obviously there is, or when I tried to point the tool to my local or network server, it would have found it and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Plus I find your statement about the guy being Indian super ignorant. He wasn't by the way. I don't wish to speak to you any further.

There is a little more to it than that. The tool requires a server to be running, that wasn't installed with ControlFlash Plus or any of the other software. I still don't know what the deal is with the local/network server or how to point it to where. I called Rockwell support and the tech wasn't sure.

I wanted to make sure that I could at least share the configs once I made them. Here is the procedure I wrote up so that you can at least share the XML files between machines. We fiddled around and tried a few things and found these steps to be necessary.

1: Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Rockwell\RSLinx Enterprise (shortcut provided in binder)
2: Start-->Run (winkey + r) and type "services.msc" or use your preferred method to adminsiter services (shortcut provided in binder)
3: Follow steps 5-10 perfectly - it does matter.
4: Stop "FactoryTalk Linx Instance02 Service"
5: Disable "FactoryTalk Linx Instance02 Service"
6: Disable "FactoryTalk Linx Instance01 Service"
7: Stop "FactoryTalk Linx Instance01 Service"
8: Copy RSLinxNG.xml and RSLinxNG02.xml somewhere if you want to back them up (or delete if you don't care)
9: Copy the RSLinxNG.xml and RSLinxNG02.xml from the binder into C:\ProgramData\Rockwell\RSLinx Enterprise\
9: Set to Automatic: "FactoryTalk Linx Instance 02 Service" but DO NOT START
10: Set to Automatic: "FactoryTalk Linx Instance 01 Service" but DO NOT START
11: Reboot

Hi, there!
This worked for me with the problem I had (see the attached images).

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
"FactoryTalk Linx

An internal error has occurred. You must close FactoryTalk View and stop the FactoryTalk Linx service before continuing.

Failed to find the topology node in the configuration."

Thank you very much!!!(y)

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG