RsLogix5000 GSV Variable

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm looking to use the GSV instruction to get I/O fault codes for my project so I know if there's a comms issue in my E/IP network.

Is there a way to give an AOI an Instance Name as a parameter, and feed that into the Instance Name of the GSV function?

For checking EIP connectivity status, as long as you've got whatever device you want set up for cyclic comms (aka set up in your ethernet tree), you can use a GSV that checks the Module Attribute called EntryStatus. Map that to a DINT called EntryStatus_XXX (XXX being your module name or whatever). If the EIP connection between the PLC and that device is good, you should see a value of 16384 come back on the EntryStatus tag. Anything other than 16384 indicates an issue with the EIP connection.

You could feed that EntryStatus into whatever AOI you'd like. If you're trying to use an instance from the AOI to feed into the GSV to check EIP comms, I don't think the GSV instruction supports mapping a tag to the module instance, but I haven't personally tried that.

Last edited:
You could feed that EntryStatus into whatever AOI you'd like. If you're trying to use an instance from the AOI to feed into the GSV to check EIP comms, I don't think the GSV instruction supports mapping a tag to the module instance, but I haven't personally tried that.

Thanks for the reply,

Looking through the help it doesn't look like the GSV has a data type assigned to the module instance. I just wanted to hide away the GSV calls in an AOI and feed in the instance names and it would spit back if there's an issue, keep my logic clean.

Thanks for the reply,

I just wanted to hide away the GSV calls in an AOI and feed in the instance names and it would spit back if there's an issue, keep my logic clean.

You probably know all of this already, but just in case you don't:

You can hide the GSV's into the AOI but I think you'd just have to hard code each of the instances and EntryStatus checks if you're trying to check multiple devices in your machine with one AOI. You could then feed whichever is not communicating via entrystatus into a visible output tag that you could feed out of the AOI. It's a bit uglier but at least it's all hidden in the AOI!

Pulling the fault code also works. If the fault code reads zero you are good. If the fault code doesn't read zero you have an issue.

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm looking to use the GSV instruction to get I/O fault codes for my project so I know if there's a comms issue in my E/IP network.

Is there a way to give an AOI an Instance Name as a parameter, and feed that into the Instance Name of the GSV function?

Yes.

You can setup an AOI InOut parameter of the “MODULE” data type. This will be the name of the node in the IO tree. You could then have a simple nested AOI that accepts this MODULE and generically does the work for you across a wide range of device types (local, networked, pretty much anything with a cyclic CIP connection).

I put an instance of this into every connection-oriented AOI I use:
https://github.com/JeremyMedders/LogixLibraries/blob/main/src/System/Sys_Module_AOI.L5X