FT View Studio ME Communication w/PV7+Std

jgar65

I am having trouble establishing communication between a PanelView Plus 7 Standard and a SLC5/05. A little background: This was a working setup until an operator pressure washed the touchscreen. We purchased a new PanelView and the integrator that did the program for the touchscreen will not come out. They sent us the .mer file and I loaded it. The screens come up but there is no communication between the PP+ and the 5/05. IP setting in both devices look good. PP+ (192.168.80.1:255.255.255.0) 5/05 (192.168.80.58:255.255.255.0) I can see both devices in RS Linx Classic. Since we got no where trying to get the integrator out here (they are local) we purchased a copy of FT View Studio ME. I did finally get a copy of the .med file from the company in the mean time. I figured it was a runtime target issue in the factory Talk Linx. I see both devices and added the path for the 5/05 in the runtime target. I have had zero success. Everything seems to be working correctly but I am missing something here. They did have a gateway address in the plc for the PP+. Since it was not working I removed it but I had the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When you open the project on your PC, does testing a display work while connected to the PLC network? If so, try to use the "copy development to runtime" button. Then verify and save.

Then (this seems crazy but it's something I've had to do when changing communications settings since v4), close View Studio, reboot your PC, open View Studio, and rebuild the mer file.
If you use the Runtime Transfer Utility, be sure to check the box to replace the communications setup and to run this mer on startup.
If you're using a flash drive or other means to transfer the mer file, get into the HMI's configuration and update the comm path and startup settings there. I don't have access to a PV+ right now to walk you through all of those settings.

Thanks for the quick reply. It does not work in test mode while connected to the network. In the attached picture the top banner has an IP displayed. I dont know where this address comes from or if it could be part of my problem? It shows the address I installed on the terminal in the lower left side.

IMG_1299.jpg

Your PanelView is using an address commonly used for network gateways/routers. What happens if you change it to something else available on the subnet?

The top banner is the firmware version, not an IP address. That lower field is showing the IP address. Now, you PV is set to 80.1 for its IP address. That is unusual. Typically the .1 address is reserved for routers or gateways. And you mentioned that the PLC has a gateway defined. I wonder if we have an IP address conflict. You might double-check what that gateway address is in the PLC and set the PV to use the same gateway address. The PV's own IP address is mostly unimportant, as long as it is the correct subnet. You should be able to safely change it without any impact.

Something else to check...at the PV menu, select Load Application and select the correct MER file. But do not run it yet. Once it loads, open the Application Settings and look for your RSLinx/FTLinx Device Shortcut. When you select it, it should show the device it is supposed to connect to. Which should be your SLC. If it is not showing the SLC then we need to fix that shortcut so it points to your controller.

OG

OG

If it doesn't work when you test it from within View Studio, while your PC is on the right network with a unique IP address on the right subnet...you're at square 1. You should get that working before going on. Once that's working, you can copy the local shortcut to runtime and recompile your mer file.
I would just shutdown RSLinx Classic entirely during this. Make sure it's not set to run as a service and shut it down. Maybe reboot to make sure it isn't lingering. It isn't used by the PV+ or by View Studio and, at best, doesn't do anything. At worst, it will break things. I've had such bad experiences with View Studio/Linx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic coexisting that I have all things PV+ isolated on a VM away from everything else.

I think I found the issue. I changed the IP for the PP+ to .10 and that fixed the issue with Linx Classic. The root of the problem was the Runtime Target. I was trying to use SLC. Whoever programmed this used SCL. I renamed my target to SCL and I am now communicating. Thanks to all who replied!

IMG_1301.jpg

I was staring at it all day and I didn't see it. It took a fresh set of eyes and they noticed it. If it weren't for him I would still be scratching my head.