logix5000 cannot see DF1, FTLinx can

Hi all,

I am attempting to communicate between PC and AB compactlogix L32E Using Logix 5000.

FTLinx is able to communicate via ethernet.
FTLinx is able to communicate via DF1
Logix5000 is able to commuicate via ethernet
Logix 5000 is NOT able to communicate via DF1

For reasons i need to communicate via DF1.

When i open the Who Active window, the DF1 branch does not appear.
When i open FTLinx, DF1 branch appears and i can see the modules which confirms it is communicating.

Any suggestions?

You probably already tried this, but I would delete all the drivers in rslinx and then create them again, then reboot the computer

What version of Logix/Studio 5000? Is it possibly set to use RSLinx Classic instead of FactoryTalk Linx?

Close the project, but not Studio, then go to COMMUNICATIONS -> Select Communications Software... -> and verify you are using the right one.

Just as a basic fact of how serial ports work, the two applications cannot simultaneously use the same one. And neither is well known for completely relinquishing its claim on that Windows OS resource.

I'd say delete the FactoryTalk Linx driver, reboot, and see if you can get RSLinx Classic to configure and browse that driver.

Hmmm... I will try to answer a few of these questions about my system. It is a bit messy... But here we go.

1. Logix5000 V16.
2. FTLinx 6.11.00 (CPR 9 SR 11)
3. After some digging yesterday, i strongly suspect that my Logix5000 is communicating with RSLinx. Whereas my RSView is communicating with FTLinx.
4. "Clear drivers in RSView and configure from beginning". I would very much like to do this. Slight problem. Ever since i installed FTView, I have no been able to open RSLinx. I thought this was because it was superceded by FTView, but i have a very strong suspicion (based on testing) that Logix is still communicating with RSView and is not communicating with FTView at all. But because i am unable to open RSView, I cannot configure.
5. Can i remove FTView? I do not think i can because if i do then i lose communication with the panel.
6. Logix5000 and RSLinx was installed before FTLinx.

Question:
1. Have others experienced the inability to open RSView after installing FTLinx? If so, did you figure a way to reopen RSLinx?

I have recently changed the network for my controller and panelview so i can communicate with it remotely over a VPN server. This said, i need to define a pathway within RSLinx so I can communicate with the Logix controller using Logix5000. Until i do, Logix5000 cannot "see" the controller in the new network.

To get around this, i have had to fire up a differernt computer with Logix5000 installed, but not FTView. I am able to open RSLinx in this computer and thus create a pathway and thus communicate.

I would of course rather use a single computer if i can. Ideally without VM ware, but there is a chance I may need to...

IGNORE PREVIOUS POST.

It is riddled with errors due to the confusion in product classifications. ie. RSLinx, FTLinx, FTView, RSView, RSLogix. Got lost in it all.

Below is the edited response

Hmmm... I will try to answer a few of these questions about my system. It is a bit messy... But here we go.

1. Logix5000 V16.
2. FTLinx 6.11.00 (CPR 9 SR 11)
3. After some digging yesterday, i strongly suspect that my Logix5000 is communicating with RSLinx. Whereas my FTView is communicating with FTLinx.
4. "Clear drivers in RSLinx and configure from beginning". I would very much like to do this. Slight problem. Ever since i installed FTView, I have not been able to open RSLinx. I thought this was because it was superceded by FTLinx, but i have a very strong suspicion (based on testing) that Logix is still communicating with RSLinx and is not communicating with FTLinx at all. But because i am unable to open RSLinx, I cannot configure.
5. Can i remove FTLinx? I do not think i can because if i do then i lose communication with the panel.
6. Logix5000 and RSLinx was installed before FTLinx.

Question:
1. Have others experienced the inability to open RSLinx after installing FTLinx? If so, did you figure a way to reopen RSLinx?

I have recently changed the network for my controller and panelview so i can communicate with it remotely over a VPN server. This said, i need to define a pathway within RSLinx so I can communicate with the Logix controller using Logix5000. Until i do, Logix5000 cannot "see" the controller in the new network.

To get around this, i have had to fire up a differernt computer with Logix5000 installed, but not FTView. I am able to open RSLinx in this computer and thus create a pathway and thus communicate.

I would of course rather use a single computer if i can. Ideally without VM ware, but there is a chance I may need to...

RSLinx Classic not launching can be caused by setting RSLinx Classic to run as a Service. Open the RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel and check that it is set to run as an Application.

At least in previous versions of Windows, RSLinx Classic would show up as an icon in the system tray when it ran as a service. You could use that icon to show the main window.
I think you're going to have trouble if you're trying to use FTLinx and RSLinx Classic at the same time. Or "Linx Enterprise" at the same time as anything else.

You can't use FTLinx in older versions, so you have to get it shut down completely so RSLinx Classic can grab the serial port. I would delete all drivers in FTLinx (I haven't messed with it much, so I can't help you much there) and, if possible, make sure it's as shut down as it'll let you. Then reboot your PC and add a new DF1 driver to RSLinx Classic.

Open the RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel and check that it is set to run as an Application.

Open the RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel and check that it is set to run as an Application.
Thank you Mike. This worked. I can now open RSLinx.

New problem. I can open RSLinx. But RSLinx does not recognise my remote network.

A snapshot of the current situation.

I have two computers shown in this picture. Let us call them PC1 and PC2.
PCs.jpg

PC1
WinXP. RSLinx Revision 2.58.
FTLinx is NOT running on this PC.
I am able to connect to the remote network through RSLinx.
Logix5000 is able to go online because it connects via RSLinx.
PC1 connected.jpg
online.jpg

PC2
Win7. RSlinx Revision 3.51
FTLinx IS running on this PC.
I am able to connect to the remote network through FTlinx.
I am NOT able to connect to the remote network through RSLinx.
I can "See" my PLC and my PVP in FTLinx.
FTView is able to go online because FTView connects via FTLinx.
Logix5000 is NOT able to go online because it connects via RSLinx.
350747962_1352547302028170_944377549174798782_n.png
PC2 Not connected.png

The goal is for PC2 RSlinx to connect to the remote network.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Some additional notes:

In PC 2, i have cleared the RSLinx drivers and reinstalled ethernet driver. RSLinx connects to the local network. But does not connect to the remote network.

In PC1, i have cleared the RSLinx drivers and reinstalled ethernet driver. RSLinx connects to the local network. RSLinx also initially DOES NOT connect to the remote network. But...

I open Logix5000. Open my project file. Attempt to go online. Not able to due to no connection.

I open communications tab, RSWho, expand the ethernet tree. I can now see the remote network. Expand the remote network. I can see the PLC and modules in the backplane.

PC1 connected.jpg

I close RSWho, then return to the project. Open communications tab and select Go Online. I am now online.

PC2 Linx OK.jpg

Note the Red Crosses on the PLC and HMI. Once i expand in RSWho via Logix5000, they are then expandable in RSLinx. Red crosses are still there. But the important thing is that i am connected, so i am not too concerned about the red crosses at this point.

So my current position, even though a small step closer, is still not too different to where i started, which is that i still require a second computer to connect to Logix5000.

Last edited:
SOLUTION

For those of you who found this thread in google because you have experienced a similar problem. I have found the solution.

I did not find it on my own. I pieced it together from advice shared in this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=941178

The course of events that lead to this issue is as follows:

1. Logix5000 was able to communicate with the PLC
2. FTView was able to communicate with the PLC and the PVP
3. Changed the network configuration for remote installation
4. Tested to confirm i could communicate with the PVP
5. To do this, i connected to the new network via ethernet, created a runtime application which inherently establishes a communication path between the PC, PLC, and PVP.
6. Once verified, disconnected from ethernet, changed to my home network where the remote server is set up.
7. Verified connection between PC, PLC, and PVP was still working.
8. This verified connection between FTLinx and PLC and PVP is OK.
9. Opened Logix5000 project. Unable to connect to PLC.
10. This is because RSLinx did not recognise the remote network and could not "find" the PLC.

11. To solve this, first establish the connection between RSLinx and the PLC within the new network.
12. This is achieved by connecting to the new network via ethernet, opening the Logix5000 project.
13. Open Communications/Who Active
14. Select the PLC and set project path.
15. This establishes the project path so when the project is open, it "looks" for this path which essentially looks for the network.
16. Save the project.
17. Change to the home network.
18. Open Logix5000 project
19. Open Who Active, Logix5000 should now be able to "See" the PLC.

Hope this helps others in the future.