Reset alarms invoke method

Revnus

I'm using ftview 13 with rslogix v35.

I want to use a button to reset all alarms coming from process CPU L83-EP.
I tried using invoke method to reset:
invoke display_name.alarmeventsummary1.akcall(0.0)

The problem is that, this method does not reset all latched alarms, only acknowledge them.

How do I reset all latched alarms?

is the logic that latched the alarm bits off so they can be reset?
1. unlatch individual bits.
2. if they are grouped together, move 0 to word, copy zero's to word, OR if you can, do a file fill on the entire alarm bit words.
others with more knowledge on this may give an answer.
i hope this helps.
james

... I want to use a button to reset all alarms coming from process CPU ...
how are the alarms coded in the CPU? Can you post a screenshot of the code? E.g. are they something like this?
Code:
     LvlHi                 LvlAlarm
--+---] [-------------+------( )---
  |                   |
  |  LvlAlrm  LvlAck  |
  +---] [-------] [---+

is the logic that latched the alarm bits off so they can be reset?
1. unlatch individual bits.
2. if they are grouped together, move 0 to word, copy zero's to word, OR if you can, do a file fill on the entire alarm bit words.
others with more knowledge on this may give an answer.
i hope this helps.
james

Unfortunately, they are not grouped together.

how are the alarms coded in the CPU? Can you post a screenshot of the code? E.g. are they something like this?
Code:
     LvlHi                 LvlAlarm
--+---] [-------------+------( )---
  |                   |
  |  LvlAlrm  LvlAck  |
  +---] [-------] [---+

There is no logic to use this alarms. They are already created by PlantPAx 5 instructions, you create an alarm definition in alarm manager to a specific member of a datatype, so any tag that uses this member of datatype will generate an alarm.

This CPU uses an alarm manager, which sends the alarms via factorytalk linx to FTView.

Commands like ackall, in the FTView alarm summary, goes to the PLC to reset the latched alarms in the alarm manager.

Stupid question, but why do you need such a button? PlantPAX comes with everything pre-loaded for you. That's the whole point of a DCS, everything you'd reasonably need is prepared for you to a point.

Granted, PlantPAX is not a DCS at all, it's a framework to build something akin to a DCS, but if you build it as intended this shouldn't be an issue.

As for commands, Each alarm in alarm manager has an input associated with it. Say you have FT1234 as a PAI object. The tag FT1234.@Alarms or .@alarmset will provide you with a way to manipulate that alarm. This is how PlantPAX5 faceplates do it.

Stupid question, but why do you need such a button? PlantPAX comes with everything pre-loaded for you. That's the whole point of a DCS, everything you'd reasonably need is prepared for you to a point.

Granted, PlantPAX is not a DCS at all, it's a framework to build something akin to a DCS, but if you build it as intended this shouldn't be an issue.

As for commands, Each alarm in alarm manager has an input associated with it. Say you have FT1234 as a PAI object. The tag FT1234.@Alarms or .@alarmset will provide you with a way to manipulate that alarm. This is how PlantPAX5 faceplates do it.

It is because I have more than 2000 alarms in the logic. I dont want to use a specific input of every single alarm to do it.
Since there is this way to acknowledge all, I thought that could be possible to make a single command to also reset them.

Why do I have so many alarms? (which is a second problem)

The alarm of a P_MOTOR_DISCRETE related to P_INTERLOCKS. P_INTERLOCKS summarize all the alarms, for example, 14 alarms, in a single alarm "Interlocks". Then the operator have a alarm in the banner which does not tell the cause. He would have to open that P_MOTOR, click on the black interlock button and see the specific alarm on, which is a problem for my customer. So I created an alarm definition in alarm manager, to each specific input of P_INTERLOCK.

#_Intlk_0.Inp_Intlk00
#_Intlk_0.Inp_Intlk01
#_Intlk_0.Inp_Intlk14

Now I have all this alarms and the operator have to reset (not only acknowledge them) the alarms latched but not in alarm anymore, from a reset button on the screen.

Since there is this way to acknowledge all, I thought that could be possible to make a single command to also reset them.

What is the difference between acknowledging and resetting an alarm?

Perhaps we should take a step back and ensure we start with a common definition of an alarm. Here is mine:

• If the prerequisite condition (e.g. high temperature) for an alarm exists, then the alarm state is active
    • Even if that alarm is acknowledged before the prerequisite condition is removed, the alarm state remains active, because the prerequisite condition still exists.
  • If that prerequisite condition, which previously existed, then ceases to exist (e.g. the operator sees the alarm, investigates and finds a cooling fan not running; the fan is fixed, put back into service and turns on; the temperature drops below the alarm limit), then the alarm state remains active
    • The point of remaining active is that the operator might otherwise miss an alarm's prerequisite condition of short duration, and it is preferred that they eventually be aware of it even if they do not see it while the condition exists.
  • If the alarm is acknowledged after the prerequisite condition no longer exists, then the alarm state changes to inactive.
That is what I think of as fairly typical definitions for an alarm's state and behavior.

I don't see a place for the term "reset" in that definition, other than as perhaps an alternate term for "acknowledge."

Is there another way to define "alarm?"

What is the difference between acknowledging and resetting an alarm?

Perhaps we should take a step back and ensure we start with a common definition of an alarm. Here is mine:

• If the prerequisite condition (e.g. high temperature) for an alarm exists, then the alarm state is active
    • Even if that alarm is acknowledged before the prerequisite condition is removed, the alarm state remains active, because the prerequisite condition still exists.
  • If that prerequisite condition, which previously existed, then ceases to exist (e.g. the operator sees the alarm, investigates and finds a cooling fan not running; the fan is fixed, put back into service and turns on; the temperature drops below the alarm limit), then the alarm state remains active
    • The point of remaining active is that the operator might otherwise miss an alarm's prerequisite condition of short duration, and it is preferred that they eventually be aware of it even if they do not see it while the condition exists.
  • If the alarm is acknowledged after the prerequisite condition no longer exists, then the alarm state changes to inactive.
That is what I think of as fairly typical definitions for an alarm's state and behavior.

I don't see a place for the term "reset" in that definition, other than as perhaps an alternate term for "acknowledge."

Is there another way to define "alarm?"

Yes when we talk about PlantPAx features.

Using your example:
If I declare this temperature alarm it just needs to be acknowledged:
Once the fan is fixed an the temperature drops, a motor will immediately restart (assuming it is programmed to do so) or an operator can manually restart it without acknowledging anything, although there will be an indication that the temperature has risen at some point, and that indication will disappear after acknowledging.

If I declare that this temperature alarm also needs to be reset:
Even after fixing the fan and the temperature drop, the motor will not work again until the operator resets the alarm, as this alarm condition is now latching (blocking) the possibility of turning the motor on again, like an interlock. To unlatch the alarm from running the motor, operator needs to reset the alarm.

Last edited: