Camming

Yes, we/our customers do camming all the time. Camming or using cubic splines is common in the saw mill industry where it is called shape sawing or curve sawing.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/curvetool.mp4
A real application done by a Canadian sawmill control company, Porter Engineering.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/JAN-04 VSS_0001.mp4

There is a scanner that scans the wood. Then an optimizer finds the best way to cut or chip the wood. The optimizer downloads points for every 3 inches for all 6 chippers shown in the video. There is a photo eye that detects the leading edge of the wood. In this application the curve is index by the feed chain instead of time so if the feed chain speeds up or slows down the indexing through the curve or spline will speed or slow down.
This is old stuff now. Been doing this for 20+ years.

When you say "camming multiple axes" I assume you mean camming multiple independent axes to a singe master axis as opposed to camming one axis to another axis that is itself already cammed to a different master. Not that it matters much but I have only done the former, not the latter.

I have implemented camming on an Allen-Bradley ControlLogix system using Kinetix 5700 drives.

Depending on what you need to do, the Logix platform also supports what AB calls Master Driven Speed Control. The basic idea is you replace time in the motion instructions with a master axis motion. This means for the slave axis, position is still slave position but velocity is slave position change/master position change. This allows the user to use the "normal" motion instructions to implement something like a cam, which some people may be more comfortable with.

Keith

We do a lot of motion where I work, but I haven't myself done too much. My boss is very comfortable with all of that, and our company just did a job for one of the big 3 in a stamping plant that had 52 axes. Transfer die. We are a Rexroth dealer so we used all Rexroth servo drives, motors and indraworks logic. I don't know too much about Rexroth, but my boss said it's top of the line for motion/camming control. Hope this helps.

I work for an integrator, not Rexroth.