M12 Ethernet in Class 1 Div. 2 / ATEX Zone 2

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi -
I am searching for an M12 panel receptacles to use for ethernet connections. I see lots of M12 cables that are ATEX / C1D2 rated but nothing in the way of M12 receptables (I do see plenty of RJ45).

I have concerns with RJ45 durability in a harsh environment (such as RJ45 connectors snapping). I've pretty much used M12 exclusively in cleanroom environments but not in hazardous areas.

Does anyone have experience with M12 in hazardous areas? Alternatively, does anyone have positive experience with "ruggedized" RJ45?

i looked at the Balluff brand we use and they do not list it for hazardous locations. the biggest hurdle i see is that the cable is rated for 4 amps.
what are you communicating with via the cable?
i am familiar with the rules in your situation. i was in the munitions industry for 8 years. there are a lot of unknowns right now.
james

Is the terminals in a C1D2 area or does the cable break the boundaries? Without a lot of details its impossible to help you out.

What Ethernet are you talking about? EthernetI/P , Profi, Ethercat, etc etc. I wouldn't be concerned at all about the RJ45 unless you plan on abusing them. You can see RJ45 on the side of so many industrial robots and devices. If you are putting it in harms way, you need to design the failure mode out of the installation.

We have build several protective shield because the customer was concerned.