Medium Range Wireless Comms with an AP

CLanford

Hello everyone,

I have read a few threads regarding setting up an AP to wirelessly communicate with PLC networks, but I have a unique question on this topic:

I am working on a rather large single machine cell (100+ feet long, 75 feet wide, multiple VFD's, servos and robots, etc), and am looking for an AP with a long wireless range so I can walk all over and inside this cell with good wireless connectivity. Most of thepocket AP's don't have the range I'm looking for, so I decided to look into the longer range Wifi Extenders for homes with AP options.

Based on range, speed and coverage I'm thinking about getting a TP-Link RE605x. It has a single ethernet port with AP mode which should work for my application.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re605x/

Has anyone worked with one of these, or has any recommendation for using a range extender as an AP for "longer" distances? Again I'm looking for close to 100 feet capability.

Thanks

in general, most "good" APs should be pretty equivalent (there is of course plenty of room for one to be cheap/worse). They are limited by how much power the FCC says they can use and what type of antenna is used: omnidirectional, directional, sector, etc. Most built in antennas on an AP are omnidirectional antennas that are pretty equivalent to each other.

They are also limited by the physics of the space you're using them in. Factories are generally terrible for wifi, lots of metal and concrete.

Big picture, 100 feet doesn't seem like that big on an ask, but what kind of communication are you doing? Is this PLC to PLC? PLC to IO? Just a commissioning link?

If this is just to get your laptop online for commissioning, I'd think whatever is probably fine. Just don't do anything dumb like put the AP inside the shut cabinet, at least put it on top of the cabinet or something. After that, you're left at the mercy of your environment.

Also also, make sure you have permission from the site's IT; they can get really cranky about rogue APs.