PanelView 550 2711-B5A2

JMLserv

Supporting Member
need instruction on how to download an existing program to the PV. I am very new to PLC's they came with the job so now sink or swim don't want to have to hire someone every time I have an issue

It uses DH-485 for all communications the RS-232 port is only for printing.
If you want to get the existing program out of the PanelView you will need to upload it using DH-485 or a card.

The Panelview Standard family of HMIs uses Panelbuilder32 software. Make sure you have that software available, and to use it with RSLinx there might be a hurdle or two depending on what version of RSLinx you are running and your computer operating system.

To connect to the DH485 port, you'll need a 1747-UIC or equivalent:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485/

A few years ago, I'd recommend using a PCMCIA memory card to upload and download from and to all Panelview Standard units, but those cards are hard to find as are laptops with PMCIA slots or readers. But if you have a compatible memory card and simply need to transfer a program from one HMI to another, that is by far the simplest method.

thanks

I have the program on the laptop and it has the slot for a memory card. If I can find a card that will be the easiest way to set it up?? but if not what is the next best way. The panel view is in place and plugged into the PLC

I have the program on the laptop and it has the slot for a memory card. If I can find a card that will be the easiest way to set it up?? but if not what is the next best way. The panel view is in place and plugged into the PLC

The program needs to have the pva extension. If it has the pba extension, open it with Panelbuilder32 and save as a "terminal file" with the pva format in a known location.

Use windows explorer to copy it to the root of the card.

Don't let windows format the card. The file format is FAT16. But Windows will still often screw it up.

Stick it in the panelview. Go to the config screen and follow the directions to upload from the card. I don't recall the exact steps, but it is pretty straightforward.

If the Panelview recognizes the card, but can't see the file, use the panelview to format the card. Then put it back in the PC and copy the file to it again and repeat the steps above.