PLC newbie question

mike47

Hey hows everyone? Ive been in industrial maintenance for almost 25 years as a mechanical tech. Recently I took an interest in working with our PLCs. Along with schooling, I have a good mentor. My question is, today I got to deal with a PLC fault on my own. It was an AB SLC 5/03, and the fault was 0002h. It seemed like the processor couldnt see the #12 module but knew it needed it. I removed the #12 module and reinserted it and downloaded the I/O config. The processor fault was cleared and the line started as usual. Do I need to get ready to replace this module or rack or is this common?

I have a good mentor. My question is, today I got to deal with a PLC fault on my own.
Did your mentor have anything to do with creating this fault? I have had instructors test student knowledge of troubleshooting by inserting a small piece of paper on one of the terminals, then replugging the module.
It seemed like the processor couldnt see the #12 module but knew it needed it. I removed the #12 module and reinserted it and downloaded the I/O config. The processor fault was cleared and the line started as usual.
It sounds like he trained you well and you passed the test.
Do I need to get ready to replace this module or rack or is this common?
Talk to your mentor.

Did your mentor have anything to do with creating this fault? I have had instructors test student knowledge of troubleshooting by inserting a small piece of paper on one of the terminals, then replugging the module.
It sounds like he trained you well and you passed the test.
Talk to your mentor.

Lol. He claims nothing but looks guilty!

"I see nothing, I know nothing!" - Sergeant Shultz

Another good tip to know is that you can clean the terminals with a pencil eraser (or similar) to remove any corrosion or film deposits.

Turns out that a tech, on the previous shift, changed out the processors powersupply which was bad. I guess somehow the processor got a little scrambled.