studio 5000 conversion issue

irondesk40

We converted a version 23 Logix designer program to V24. Now when we open the program in V24 all the text in the project tree has a grey back ground with black text. Almost like it is highlighted. Have tried everything we can think of in the Tools-Options- etc...j
Anyone ever seen this and know how to correct it. I called tech support but after about an hour was not able to get any progress.

Thanks

Did ver24 open the program right up, or ask for conversion?

Have you tried Verify All? It might be waiting to see if everything is OK

[Just guessing - personally have never seen that]

I suspect that V24 colors changed somehow,
Try this:
Close V24 project.
Hold CTRL and SHIFT keys and open Studio again.
Keep holding keys until software is completely up.
If all looks ok then try to open that V24 project

i tried the ctrl shift key, opened the v24 project and it is still grey highligted around the text. opened the v23 and it looks fine.

yes, i even created a new project and selected it as v24.

Here is what tech support chat said do.
Not sure about doing this, if i do then with as little knowledge that i have about pc's, the pc will not run the rockwell software.
Any advice?

If problems persist, do the following:
Open registry editor, regedit.exe
Make a backup of the registry by highlighting Computer and then clicking on File and Export. Name the file and save it on the desktop.
Go to the following location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software
Delete:
For RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 three folders RSLogix 5000, Studio 5000 and Logix Designer
Note: Logix Designer and Studio 5000 keys may not exist - it all depends on your setup.
For RSLogix 5 delete: RSLogi5 and RSLogix 5 English
For RSLogix 500 delete: RSLogix500 and RSLogix 500 English

I can't comment on this chat - registry edit is out of my area of knowledge.

But I would try to call instead and see if they can do live session.

I know that I had some problems with tools/options and like fonts, operands, etc were greyed out. The Rockwell tech support lady had me do a repair in control panel for FT Service or something similar to that. I'm not sure which one it was, maybe Ken will chime in. I don't have FTV yet on this new laptop on my new job, or I could look and remember it. Hope this may help a little.

thanks plan to call in this afternoon or tomorrow
its with my windows 7 pc and not able to connect to our company network anymore.

Delete:
For RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 three folders RSLogix 5000, Studio 5000 and Logix Designer
Note: Logix Designer and Studio 5000 keys may not exist - it all depends on your setup.
For RSLogix 5 delete: RSLogi5 and RSLogix 5 English
For RSLogix 500 delete: RSLogix500 and RSLogix 500 English

I get into RegEdit a lot and make quite a few changes on many computers of mine and those I setup for machinery. Never had an "Oops Moment" where I messed the system up, yet.

With that note - the above scares me and I would not try that.

I have a feeling that if you do what they suggested, you will end up re-installing all versions of Logix. And hopefully the wholesale removal of those registry entries wouldn't goof up the uninstaller.

Have to agree. I think support chat just read tech notes. Seems better if you actually call. Deleting the registry entry according to what little i know and what my IT guy said would cause the software to not operate. Basically, same thing as saying delete and reinstall.

Basically, same thing as saying delete and reinstall.

I would disagree. Installing programs puts hooks in many areas of the registry. Those folders mentioned would only partially delete, and if you tried to uninstall or reinstall I suspect there will be big problems.

I agree with dmroeder, this action would stop uninstall from working, and halt any attempt at reinstall. Until Windows was reinstalled Rockwell software might never run on that computer.

Because we know that when told to backup the registry first the first thing anyone does is jump to step 2

My local AB rep assisted and we finally got version 23 to run on win 10, but just do not really trust it so we took my win 7 pc and converted the version 23 to 24 and it runs and works fine on Windows 10. The grey highlighted text we saw on the windows 7 pc on a version 24 program was not something that does not happen on the windows 10 pc.
We loaded RSLogix 500 version 12 on the windows 10 pc and it works fine. Also, have to use RSLinx version 4.1 with windows 10. When we loaded RSLogix500 on the windows 10 pc and got it working, what we saw was everytime you selected a RSlogix 500 file to open it, windows would start reinstalling the whole RSlogix 500 software.
We installed the 500 on the windows 10 pc from a portable hard drive. Once we uninstalled the RSlogix 500 and moved the whole installation software to the Windows 10 pc and reinstalled it that strange event did not happen.... Has anyone see that happen. Luckily the AB rep i work with had seen it before and the only way to prevent it on a windows 10 pc was to leave the installation software on the hard drive of the windows 10 pc. Just thought i would share this just in case anyone runs into the same thing. Good thing i get to keep the windows 7 pc. Now need to possibly look at installing a VM program running windows 7.