Help with the IP Address...

peppin23joe

Hi everyone....

I need your help, I don't know what is the IP address from my Allen Bradley Micro820, has a fault and I need go online to check it and fix it do you know how can find the IP Address?

I will like to hear you soon...

I haven't been able to get bootp working since before XP...
Is it brand new out of the box?
15 seconds after boot if it doesn't find a DHCP server it will have an Automatic Private IP in the range 169.254.0.1 / 255.255.0.0
Get an IP in that range, restart linx and find him there.

If he's not brand new, download wireshark and winpcap. Turn on promiscuous wireshark scan, then plug your micro820 directly into your laptop.

If he's not brand new, download wireshark and winpcap. Turn on promiscuous wireshark scan, then plug your micro820 directly into your laptop.

Also, if you are trying to setup an IP address you could try getting a switch that'll assign IP addresses and then from there you can change it from dynamic to static (and setup the IP addresses).

I ended up buying a DHCP tool for setting IP on AENT cards because Bootp was so hit and miss.

A few things you can try
First set you windows computer to use DHCP and automatically get the IP from a server
Turn off your WIFY if you have it
Plug your computer into the PLC network and boot it up
It should assign the computer IP to an address on the same subnet as you PLC.
Start RSLinx
Install a new communications driver
Select Ethernet IP for the new driver
In the driver setup select scan local subnet
It will usually scan the local subnet and display all the used IP addresses
Then select your PLC and go on line
Note: if your PLC is faulted then you may not be able to see the device or connect over Ethernet
In that case you will have connect directly through the serial port

Good Luck

If you have a micro SD memory card for your Micro 820 create a file called configmefirst.txt on the card and copy the following to the card.

Change the IPA to the IP address you want to use.

On power up the controller will read the card and assign your IP to the controller.

#[IPA=192.168.1.20]
#[SNM=255.255.255.0]
#[GWA=0.0.0.0]
#[ESFD]
[PM]
[CF]
[END]

Are you able to make a serial connection to it? If so connect using DF1 full duplex (I believe the 820's default to 38.4Kbaud).
If not, you can always use something like Wireshark to find the IP. Connect the Micro802 directly to the Ethernet port of your PC (without anything but a dumb hub in between) start Wireshark (select the Ethernet connection the 820 is on) and power up the Micro 820. It should pop up in the Wireshark trace by it's MAC address and IP address

Are you able to make a serial connection to it? If so connect using DF1 full duplex (I believe the 820's default to 38.4Kbaud).
If not, you can always use something like Wireshark to find the IP. Connect the Micro802 directly to the Ethernet port of your PC (without anything but a dumb hub in between) start Wireshark (select the Ethernet connection the 820 is on) and power up the Micro 820. It should pop up in the Wireshark trace by it's MAC address and IP address

P.S. The hub isn't required but if you need something in between the PC's Ethernet port and the 820 you can't use a switch as it might block the TCP traffic which is what you need to find the IP address.

After you plug into the micro and connect with your laptop via ethernet, you should just be able to let your computer "automatically determine ip address". It will try to search for an ip similar to your plc, and thus, you can connect this way. I normally do this whenever I don't know the ip address, works well.

that would only work if the Micro820 was plugged into a router with wireless capabilities no?
I was wondering the same thing. I downloaded it but I was only able to see every device, computer, cell phone on our company's wireless...With that app you'd have to enter a gateway to the LAN connected to the controller.

I ended up buying a DHCP tool for setting IP on AENT cards because Bootp was so hit and miss.

We sell them https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-ethernet-ip-pro-address-explorer-dhcp-and-bootp-server/

blftech said:
If you have a micro SD memory card...

The only issue with changing the IP is if they have a HMI on the network, if you change the PLC you need to also change the HMI... or just look at the IP for the HMI :)

GaryS said:
In that case you will have connect directly through the serial port

Firejo said:
Are you able to make a serial connection to it?

The 820 only has one Ethernet port and no serial ports

I would look at the router you are connected to (if there is one) most have a "active nodes" page and it will tell you what the IP address is, the signature for the 820 will have 820 in it so its easy to find out.

The 820 does have a serial port, but you will need to make the cable as you have screw connections on the 820.

20191029_094439.jpg