Factory Talk View SE - Changing the default language

saeqsae

Hi all, i have a application created in english - Us and i need to incorporate a display from an application english - UK.

To do that i need my application with english - UK language by default or the imported display shows only "?" in all the text.

There is a way to change easly the default language or i need to add a new one language and replace all the text on it? I want to avoid this.

Thanks in advance

Please see the following technotes...

61335 - FactoryTalk View SE: When importing a HMI server into a Networked application, all text is replaced with ?
Access Level: Everyone

And if you have TechConnect...

33856 - FactoryTalk View Studio: Captions and text replaced with question marks in displays
Access Level: TechConnect

44770 - FactoryTalk View: Display the default language in place of the question marks

45604 - Project was moved from one PC to another and the text is displaying as ??? question marks

44769 - FactoryTalk View ME application text fields have question marks after importing

Regards,
George

Last edited:
So I was curious.......never really thought about this scenario. I exported a FTVSE screen (English-US) and reviewed the XML. I didn't see anything in there that appeared to identify the default language. It only contained the text for the language that was currently active when I performed the export.

I created a new application using a different default language (English-AU). Then I imported the screen into that application. The text appeared. So it would appear that there is nothing connecting the display to a specific language. And, the exported file would only contain the text for the current language at the time of the export.

If I had five languages, it would appear that I would have to export and then import, then change the language and repeat for each additional language. I could certainly use the language tools to export the entire application to an Excel file and make the modifications there. That is clumsy, but probably the best solution if there are several languages.

Back to the original poster's dilemma.....if the screen in question was exported, then all that should be needed is to import it. The languages of the source and destination applications do not appear to be relevant.

However......if you instead used the "Add Component Into Application..." option to add the display, the source and destination languages are maintained. I used that option to add my English-US application display to my English-AU application. I got all question marks.

This is what it sounds like has happened in your case. You really don't want to do language switching for just this one display. Instead, open the source application and export the display. Then take that export and use it to import into the destination application.

OG

Last edited:
That idea it was be faster than i did. I export the original language strings of my application and add the new language, english-US. I rename the original language strings with final extenseion "en-US" and imported again to my application. Therefore, the application now his default language is english-US and i don't have any problem with displays with question marks. Thanks i gonna try your idea also.