RSLOGIX 500 EVMOVEW lost all Activations.

CaspianSage,

I can say here with certainty that I am not mistaken, simply because I was successful in doing what I outlined, and what the technote I linked outlines. That is, I used EVMOVECF, and a USB thumb drive formatted for FAT32, and selected "Run as administrator", on one specific workstation machine, which was/is running host Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

...cliped.
Regards,
George

Thanks for responding back here, I made a few copies of my logix 5 and 500 keys on an xp machine to be safe and decided to try it again.

It did in fact work fine on my Win 10 Pro machine, I don't know why it failed before, perhaps I forgot to run as admin. It had been a while since I tried so I don't know, Anyway It works as you said and that is a huge help so thanks a lot!

And thank you, my friend.

That is excellent news and adds valuable feedback on the possibility of it working in certain Windows 10 Editions.

I would reiterate, and in line with jimtech67's experience, for users seeking to use EVMOVECF to transfer EVRSI based software licenses from older OS systems to newer, such as Windows 10, to persist if not successful the first time. If still unsuccessful after trying a few different ways, then I would advise getting Rockwell involved. If they cannot get it to work for you then they will, where possible (software version dependent), convert the license to FactoryTalk Activation for free. The exception to that "free" service is where the software must be upgraded to a version that supports FactoryTalk Activation, and the user does not have a TechConnect Support Contract which entitles them to do so. The user here would have to purchase the upgrade or enter a TechConnect Support Contract, before migrating to a FactoryTalk Activation license.

And also to reiterate, it is important to consider the EVRSI based software version you wish to move to Windows 10. Such older versions are not designed to run under newer Operating Systems, and either will not install, will not run, or will not run satisfactorily.

For instance, Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise Edition is fully supported for the following core products...

Studio 5000 v24, 28, 29, 30 and up
RSLogix 5000 v16.05, v20.05
RSLogix 500 v11, v12
RSLogix 5 v9

Any other or older versions becomes a Lottery.

And lastly, a final reminder on this thread (as James kept trying to point out), that all that has been discussed here since after post #2, and while valuable information, is irrelevant to the OP's situation. Again, this is because they had first...

Bob C said:
...upgraded RSLogix 500 5.xx to 9.05...

For RSLogix 500 licensing...

v2.00 - v6.00 - EVRSI VERSION ONLY (FTA NOT SUPPORTED)
v7.00 - v8.40 - FTA/EVRSI VERSION (BOTH METHODS SUPPORTED)
v9.00 - v12.00 - FTA VERSION ONLY (EVRSI NOT SUPPORTED)

So their now upgraded RSLogix 500 v9.05 was never going to require or use the actual old EVRSI license file they lost while trying to move it. It needed to be converted and used with FactoryTalk Activation (FTA) instead, and which they appeared to have informed us was done...

Bob C said:
...I was able to recover the 500 activation through FTA...

So the above info is just to guide future readers on which versions work with which method of licensing, and so they don't get bogged down or confused on "having" to always get the old license file moved, which we have more heavily discussed here since.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
For RSLogix 500 licensing...

v2.00 - v6.00 - EVRSI VERSION ONLY (FTA NOT SUPPORTED)
v7.00 - v8.40 - FTA/EVRSI VERSION (BOTH METHODS SUPPORTED)
v9.00 - v12.00 - FTA VERSION ONLY (EVRSI NOT SUPPORTED)

Actually their info is a little wrong. I use RSL500 V9.00 with EVRSI, it works with both methods.

FTA ONLY started at Ver 9.05, which I have to put my dongle in when I run the one computer with it installed. I use that one because it is the PRO edition and the other installations I have are Standard.

"Version" of events...

Aabeck said:
...I use RSL500 V9.00 with EVRSI, it works with both methods...FTA ONLY started at Ver 9.05...

OK, thanks for the heads up, but that is strange? By my reckoning before I had posted, that should not have been possible?

And to be fair to Rockwell, some of what I posted is part my info. But I had backed it up with good research and sound reasoning...

I had not found any "clear" references as to which exact release introduced the "FTA Only" method for RSLogix 500. They have one technote with many products/versions listed, but it has not been kept up-to-date...

464167 - EVRSI vs. FactoryTalk Activation for Rockwell Software
Access Level: Everyone

For instance, it lists v7.00 - v8.30 as supporting both methods. But I know that RSLogix 500 v8.40, which was actually released just early in the same year as the technote was published, was not listed. However, it's Release Notes state the following...

RSLogix 500 v8.40 Release Notes said:
...RSLogix 500 v8.40 supports both EvRSI and FactoryTalk Activation...

So the technote should at least list v7.00 - v8.40 as supporting both methods. So that is why I took the liberty of listing v8.40 above.

Also, at the time of the technote's publication, we can see that for RSLogix 500, they did not yet know which version would be the first "FTA Only" release, so they marked it "TBD" (To Be Determined). It would seem reasonable that they might have picked RSLogix 500 v9.00 as the cut-of point as it was the next release they jumped up to after v8.40. If we view the Release Notes for v9.00 it simply states the following...

RSLogix 500 v9.00 Release Notes said:
...RSLogix 500 v9.00 supports FactoryTalk Activation...

So here we can see there is now no reference to "EvRSI". While it does not specifically mention not supporting EvRSI, I would have taken its omission at this release to mean it is no longer supported. I would also have taken this to mean that no future releases after v9.00 will support EvRSI either.

If we look at the Release Notes for RSLogix v9.05, we can see that it states exactly the same...

RSLogix 500 v9.05 Release Notes said:
...RSLogix 500 v9.00 supports FactoryTalk Activation...

Note how v9.05 Release Notes still lists version "9.00" instead of version "9.05"? My guess is they simply copied the text from v9.00 Release Notes and forgot to edit the version reference. But the text is still the same, and to me is implying that FTA is again the only method supported in this second version 9.xx release.

To see what happened beyond v9.xx, we can look to the v10.00 Release Notes...

RSLogix 500 v10.00 Release Notes said:
...RSLogix 500 v10.00 supports FactoryTalk Activation...

Again, the same simple reference to FTA, but no mention of EvRSI.

The layout/look of the Release Notes changed somewhat at RSLogix 500 v11.00. Under the same "System requirements" section, there is now no longer any direct mention of supporting FTA for licensing. However, at the bottom, under the "Required software and versions" section, they state the following...

RSLogix 500 v11.00 Release Notes said:
The following software is required to use RSLogix 500:

RSLinx® Classic or RSLinx Classic Lite version 3.90.00
FactoryTalk® Services Platform version 2.90.00
FactoryTalk® Activation Manager version 4.01.00

...and also the same for RSLogix 500 v12.00 Release Notes except different versions listed...

RSLogix 500 v12.00 Release Notes said:
The following software is required to use RSLogix 500:

RSLinx® Classic or RSLinx Classic Lite version 4.00.00
FactoryTalk® Services Platform version 3.00.00
FactoryTalk® Activation Manager version 4.02.00

So again, all the above is somewhat implying that for all releases since v9.00, FTA only must be used for Activation. But it isn't explicit, for v9.00 or beyond, that's for sure. I think that, for the release that was/is intended to be the cut-off point, there should have been a special reference in the Release Notes to state that EvRSI activations are hence forth no longer supported (something I'll show was done for other products in a minute). The technote could do with being updated too. I might prompt them to do so but it may mean someone have to do some investigation like I've just done, and I don't think too many are as inclined as I tend to be?

On that note, here is another crumb which may lead us to determine which RSLogix 500 release is intended to be the EvRSI cut-off point...

I also know that the "FTA Only" versions were introduced at or after the release of RSLogix 5000 v20 and FactoryTalk View Studio v6.10, specifically...

Rockwell (can't remember where I previously copied this from?) said:
Beginning with the release of FactoryTalk View v6.1 and RSLogix 5000 v20, all new products will no longer support the EVRSI media-based activation method.

So when was that?...

Unfortunately, the Release Notes for RSLogix 5000 v20.00 do not tell us what date it was actually released at, although I do know it was some time in 2011? Incidentally, the Release Notes for RSLogix 5000 v20.00 do state the following...

RSLogix 5000 v20.00 Release Notes said:
EvRSI Replaced by FactoryTalk Activation Manager

Beginning with RSLogix 5000 software version 20, EvRSI activation has been replaced by the FactoryTalk Activation Manager utility. EvRSI will not be able to activate RSLogix 5000 software version 20. If you are using EvRSI activation, please contact your local Rockwell Automation Sales office or Rockwell Automation Services & Support for information on migrating your activations to FactoryTalk Activation.

The above note, in my opinion, should also have been done for RSLogix 500 software for the relevant version, which we are still trying to discover...

Another option - revision 20.011 was the first Logix 5000 controller firmware released along with RSLogix 5000 v20.00. The Release Notes for firmware revision 20.011 state that it was "released 12/2011" or December 2011, so there we have it.

Now we need to find which version of RSLogix 500 was next released in and around this date, or soon after...

From their respective Release Notes...

RSLogix 500 v8.40 was released in June 2011

So v8.40 was before the circa December 2011 "FTA Only" cut-of date.
We also know from its Release Notes above that it supports both methods.

RSLogix 500 v9.00 was released in April 2012 (from Release Notes)

So this tells us that v9.00, specifically, was the next RSLogix 500 release after RSLogix 5000 v20.00 had been released.

This fact, and the absence of any mention of EvRSI in the v9.00 Release Notes, is what drew me to my conclusion that the "TBD" in the technote should be replaced with "v9.00 - v12.00 and later", or "v9.00 - Higher".

But your feedback on v9.00 would discount the above, it seems?

One possibility, that would help qualify your statement above, is that v9.00 was intended to still support both activation methods, but the Release Notes are inaccurate, and should not have omitted the EvRSI reference until the next release at v9.05?

Plausible? By Rockwell's standards, most definitely.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George,

I knew it was Rockwell's info that was not right. I read that before on their site.

The first time RSL500 V9.00 is opened with an EVRSI license on the hard drive or flash drive it pops up a window that reads like:

RSLogix has noticed you are using EVRSI .... A future release will require FactoryTalk ... Contact Rockwell Tech Supp

It only does that once, and Ver 9.00 will work with a EVRSI flash drive or the FT dongle if not on the hard drive.