Bar_code_reading

Manmohan

Hi Guys,
I am experiencing a problem with Barcode length in compact logix of Allen Bradley. I am using a Keyance automatic scanner SR-750 which is properly configured with the controller and reading the Barcode contents, but the problem is with the length. The length is randomly coming any number (35465 or even more sometime) from the scanner. I do not know how to control the length. Does anyone have an idea about it?

Last edited:
It appears in the IO configuration as a module so-called SR-750. The standard length of the Bar-code is 7 but it can vary if the production department changes the layout and contents of the Bar code. I just want to read the same contents which I see at the time of tuning the scanner and same length. The problem is when I am triggering the scanner from the PLC the received length is too much, however, the barcode contents are being read.

The MSP
I think this is usable when the Barcode length is fixed. What if the Barcode length was changed? I want the bar code reader to read the changed bar code and give me in the programme the changed length.

When the length of the code is variable, the reader is usually configured to add a CR at the end and then in your program you will have to detect the CR character to know where the code ends.

when reading barcodes.

1. what is the format? code 39, 128, 2d, 3d
2. what s the width format?
3. what is the MAXIMUM length?
4. numbers only or alphanumeric?
5. is there a prefix / suffix to the barcode?

when you program barcodes, everyone must agree on these things and then they are set in stone. a plc program reads specific material into its memory based on what you have programmed. once its working, you cannot expect it to read an alphanumeric barcode when you programmed the plc for numbers only. you also cannot expect it to read a 12 digit number when it was programmed for a 10 digit number. if the barcode will change, you must program for the all.

james

Try avoiding a variable length bar code if you can. Easy way around it is have your field length longer (20 characters) and left pad it with zero's. That way you can add more characters to product codes/batch codes or what ever.

A lot of the time the bar code scanning gun handles a lot of that stuff for you