AB Micro850 RTC module problem

nuwan

Hi! I'm having a problem iwth the 2080-MEMBAK-RTC module. The date changes back to 1st January 2000 when I turn the power of the PLC off and on again.

I have included a read instruction to the ladder program. In module status it shows the module is incompatible and battery is low.

I have attached some of the pictures of screens.

Could someone please help?

20191104_122716.jpg 20191104_124938.jpg

Attachments

• 20191104_122637.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 22
  • 20191104_122705.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 17
The only thing I can think of is the battery is depleted or bad connection from battery electronics to module, I believe this unit has a battery backup to run the clock in the event of power loss & would reset to default date

On the module incompatibility...

Which plug-in slot have you the 2080-MEMBAK-RTC module fitted to? It must be fitted to the first slot. Although I'm also wondering if a bad battery might also cause such an error?...

parky said:
The only thing I can think of is the battery is depleted or bad connection from battery electronics to module, I believe this unit has a battery backup to run the clock in the event of power loss & would reset to default date

Yes, the RTC is battery backed with an internal and "non-replaceable" battery which may last up to 5 years. It does sound like it may be bad in some way?

The following technote specifically mentions, as one of its opening questions, "Why does my RTC go back to the initial settings when I go into run-mode?"...

494822 - Working with 2080-MEMBAK-RTC plug-in module
Access Level: Everyone

...but then goes on to "not" answer that specific question, that I can see? I've used my "new found powers", kindly given to me by Forum member "TheWaterboy", and now for the second time in as many days, to inform Rockwell that the technote appears incomplete. They promptly updated another technote for me yesterday, so hopefully they will update (or show me something I've missed in) the technote soon enough with some helpful information.

I just had a thought, they might just edit it to remove the question!?! :rolleyes:

Regards,
George

Last edited:

Exactly. I was informed by AB that the battery is the problem. The products were in stock for few years and they have no record on it. I checked the battery voltage and it was 0.6v. (This is a 3V battery). I could have desoldered the battery and replaced with a new one.

After this I used a Schneider M221 controller to finished the job.

On the module incompatibility...

Which plug-in slot have you the 2080-MEMBAK-RTC module fitted to? It must be fitted to the first slot. Although I'm also wondering if a bad battery might also cause such an error?...

Yes, the RTC is battery backed with an internal and "non-replaceable" battery which may last up to 5 years. It does sound like it may be bad in some way?

The following technote specifically mentions, as one of its opening questions, "Why does my RTC go back to the initial settings when I go into run-mode?"...

494822 - Working with 2080-MEMBAK-RTC plug-in module
Access Level: Everyone

...but then goes on to "not" answer that specific question, that I can see? I've used my "new found powers", kindly given to me by Forum member "TheWaterboy", and now for the second time in as many days, to inform Rockwell that the technote appears incomplete. They promptly updated another technote for me yesterday, so hopefully they will update (or show me something I've missed in) the technote soon enough with some helpful information.

I just had a thought, they might just edit it to remove the question!?! :rolleyes:

Regards,
George

Thank you George.