SIMATIC 505 Ethernet TCP/IP Module (505-CP2572) Problem..

atifplus

I am using tht module and facing a strange problem. When i turn on the PLC and load the logic the ACTIVE LED of the 2752 keep blinking even after i run the PLC.

But once I took out the module while the PLC was powered on and then put the module back in again, load the logic and run the PLC that LED was constantly lit.

Anyone knows what could be the problem .. ? The ladder file works fine and the module works too but wihout pulling it out of the rack and inserting back in while the PLC is on. it just dont work :(

Thanks for the reply in adv.

Atif

Hmmm, tricky.
I took out the module while the PLC was powered on and then put the module back in again
OK, TI505 stuff wasn't generally recommended as hot-swap, but we've all done it occasionally.
load the logic and run the PLC
Now here you must have stopped the PLC to load the logic? So in essence you've done the same as in your second sentence
When i turn on the PLC and load the logic
I think it was possible to configure the module to have all its comms parameters stored on-board in flash EPROM: IP address etc. Alternatively, you could choose to store these values in the CPU and load them from there at start up. The advantage of the second method was that any old spare CP2572 module could be plugged in without having to be pre-configured. The CPU would do it all at start up. The disadvantage was, someone had to code that extra data in the CPU in the first place.

It sounds to me as if the card may be losing its configuration for some reason, and only regaining it when you force the CPU to do a cold restart. We need more information about why the card stops working. Once you've loaded the logic to the PLC and started it and the module running OK what then leads to a failure? Why do you stop the PLC and re-load the logic as in the second sentence of your post?

Regards

Ken

Ken M is correct, the 2572 can be "hard" configured through the module's serial port or via ladder, with ladder being the preferred method.

If I remember correctly, the ladder writes a configuration block of words then seals in a bit.
When you do a non-recommended hot swap, all you have to do is unseal the bit, and the configuration would be written again.

I suspect your module is failing, rather than go to all the steps you listed, why not just reset the configuration bit every so often. This will last a little while, but I believe you should be ordering a new module.

In this example C100 is sealed in, if you force C100 false, the configuration block will be written once again.

ti_et.png

You can get a new module from these folks: http://www.controltechnology.com/

You can download a manual there as well: http://www.controltechnology.com/support/manuals/

I will go grab another module and give it a try. seems like there are couple in storage :p

It is just so random now like in the morning i loaded the logic and the run the PLC and everything started working without any pulling out and inserting of module. ( oh for my last post, I was putting the PLC into halt mode b4 doing the hot pulling/inserting of the module )Oh by the way i am using the ladder to configure the module not the eeprom method.
Also, got the pretty similar ladder logic as Ken got to configure the command block. I do have configured the command block the way as it is mentioned in the manual.
All it says in the manual is if the led is blinkin ( slowly) then module is not configured properly.

aaaa ya well also when i turn on the PLC it loses the logic so i have to uploaded it again.. humm... I will try to contact the people they might know whats wrong.. coz what i am seeing is random behaviour of module which isn't making any sense.

Once it is inserted back (halt mode) it works perfectly wihtout any problem.

Ken if i load the logic to PLC and run PLC the module LED keep blinkin ( indication of module not configured). if i put the PLC in halt mode then take out the module and put it back in and put PLC in run mode the LED stay lit( module configured properly)

But sometimes that same logic if i load it in the PLC and then run PLC module LED stays lit.

i tried loading the logic when PLC (gone though cold start/hot start means reloadin the logic when PLC is on) and load logic .. it worked sometimes and sometimes it dont

All i want to make that module LED in lit state so i could reconnect to PLC using teh ethernet after loading the logic though serial connection.

Ken M said:
Hmmm, tricky.
OK, TI505 stuff wasn't generally recommended as hot-swap, but we've all done it occasionally. Now here you must have stopped the PLC to load the logic? So in essence you've done the same as in your second sentence
I think it was possible to configure the module to have all its comms parameters stored on-board in flash EPROM: IP address etc. Alternatively, you could choose to store these values in the CPU and load them from there at start up. The advantage of the second method was that any old spare CP2572 module could be plugged in without having to be pre-configured. The CPU would do it all at start up. The disadvantage was, someone had to code that extra data in the CPU in the first place.

It sounds to me as if the card may be losing its configuration for some reason, and only regaining it when you force the CPU to do a cold restart. We need more information about why the card stops working. Once you've loaded the logic to the PLC and started it and the module running OK what then leads to a failure? Why do you stop the PLC and re-load the logic as in the second sentence of your post?

Regards

Ken

Last 6 words from post #4
it works perfectly wihtout any problem.
Quite clearly it doesn't work perfectly otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it here. To my mind if something is working perfectly it hasn't yet stopped working.

Has this system ever worked 'perfectly' for a prolonged period of time? I'm also concerned about statements like
also when i turn on the PLC it loses the logic so i have to uploaded it again.. humm...
Humm, indeed! This is not normal behaviour by any stretch of the imagination. I would be much more concerned about this problem and give it higher priority than Ethernet comms. Once again, more info needed, but this time about the CPU. When did it start showing this symptom? What else changed at this time?

Regards

Ken

PS: Love the idea of "I will try to contact the people they might know whats wrong". Ah, yes, the people. It all comes down to The People eventually, doesn't it:)

Ouch!! Ken I was just being a little sloppy in my last post .. sorry about that.

Here is more info..

I am a coop student and found the PLC/modules in the company storage (not sure when it was used last time and there are high chances that it is faulty). I powered it up aaa hardly a week ago.

As far as working prefectly aaa if we dont consider that blinking problem of comm. module It is doing what it suppose to do. It is just that small little glitch sort of thing in comm module bugging me and i am just curious to know what it is.

What I am trying to do is built a whole system with standalone PLC connected to IFIX, a tutorial sort of exersice for electricans for troubleshooting. and maybe if i have enough time at the end of my term (3 more months left in my term ) i will try my best to replace one of the operator control panel with the computer system laoded with IFIX :).

oh my place is not a lab or something it is just a plant running and the documentation are not that great. My first time with ladder logic, TI PLC and IFIX. I dont have internet at office so I just download bunch of stuff off the net and read it try to figure out things.

"PS: Love the idea of "I will try to contact the people they might know whats wrong". Ah, yes, the people. It all comes down to The People eventually, doesn't it:)"

U must be in tech support :p hehe