Quick S5 DataBlock question

Johnny T

Hi

If I write in S5:
 G DB 20 

How many words does DB 20 have that I've just created. I know on S7 you can go in and edit the DB and designate how many words it contains etc. If I generate a DB in S5 does it have 256 words in it automatically or do I need to add something to the code to tell it to fill the DB with spaces for words?

Hopefully that question makes some sense...

Basically what I'm asking, is the following code illegal:
G DB 20
C DB 20
L KF 100
T DW 50

??

Thanks

JT

Hello johnny T;

Here is a quote from a S5 manual (CPU 943):
S5_DB_length.jpg

So basically, yes, your code is valid. To look up values in DWs with idenntification lower than 255 Load and Transfer instructions are adequate.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

If I generate a DB in S5 does it have 256 words in it automatically or do I need to add something to the code to tell it to fill the DB with spaces for words?
Nope. The number of words in the DB generated is equal to the number that was in ACCU1 when you executed the code + 1.
E.g. if you have the next code in your program
L  KF +100
G DB 20

then DB 20 will contain DW 0 up to and including DW100, or a total of 101 DW's.
You cannot change the length of a DB in the program, but you're able to erase a DB by loading 0 into ACCU1 prior to generating the DB. E.g. this code erases DB20:
L  KF +0
G DB 20

After this code you can regenerate the DB with a different length.

Kind regards,