Distributed SCADA system

SCAN.PLC

I am working out on a project and it is in initial phase of estimation.

There are four operations in a plant with 200-300 I/Os at each station.

All are connected together on Ethernet TCP/IP

Following is hardware at each Station:

PLC :Control Logix 1756-L55-M24

I/O Network :1756 CNB

Communication Interface :1756 ENBT

Following are the some of the specs of the scada system.

1. One data acquisition server for data acquisition-RsLinx Professional or RS Linx Gateway

2. One operator station-for monitoring and controlling the process (all four plants).This should be connected to Data server.

3. One engineering station-Capable of connecting to process or office network and should be able to modify and supervise PLC software.

4. One archive and report station connected to Data server

I am proposing RSVIEW SE for distributed monitoring and control of each plant.

Following is the idea of connectivity.

All controllers are connected to Ethernet hub at each plant and routed to Ethernet switch in central SCADA room. From here a network is connected to central system (data server- opc server) No SCADA system in this Node.

All other nodes (one operator station, Engineering station and Archiving and reporting station) will be connected to this OPC server.

Do I need a separate RSLINX license at each station or should I install RSlinx gateway in Data server and remotely access all data from other nodes. I think second idea goes good with RSView SE. Please make me clear if I am wrong.

I would like to have a better idea who has better knowledge of these products for implementing the distributed monitoring and control system.

You could do this project easily and affordably with FactorySQL and FactoryPMI. They both offer unlimited concurrent developers and clients, so any computer could act as any of those defined tasks.

No matter who you go with - if you're not worried about the network connection betweeen sites you'll have a cheaper implementation. You will only need Linx Pro - OEM might even work. You'd only need Gateway if you're trying to connect from that PC to another running RSLinx that is dealing with the device. This is complicated and cumbersome (based on the old and painful MS DCOM).

You wouldn't need RSLinx at each location - they're not talking to the PLCs, they're talking to the server (RSView SE uses a distributed model, talking over FactoryTalk over TCP/IP). If you used a single user version, you would need RSLinx at each RSView node. I'm not sure which would be cheaper for you. Your Rockwell Rep should be able to give you exact pricing.