Downloading to Siemens OP using profibus

emokar

Hello,

I've been trying to download program to Siemens MP370 touchpanels for a long time , i could not succeed yet...

In the project there will be two Operator Panels and S7-300 PLC (CPU 315 - 2 DP)

I can download programs with serial cable without any problems. And after downloading, both OPs communicate with PLC. My only problem is downloading programs to op's over profibus connection.

I am pretty sure my cable works , cause i dont have any problems downloading programs using MPI communication.

First of all , i could not really understand the structure of two ports of PLC. how could i connect profibus connectors? what should i do in simatic manager in order to download program over profibus? is there an online source where i can find documents or examples about my problem?

Hello emokar.

There is a setting in the Windows Control Panel under Transfer Settings. Select the relevant channel (probably nr. 2), set it to MPI/Profibus if not set allready and set the Enable Channel tick. You can alter all the comms setting with the Advanced button. Maybe this is what you have to do, as you can do the download via MPI. Set it to Profibus and correct baudrate, node address etc.
I find it strange that it goes back to MPI by itself.

When you want to do the actual download of the project, then I have found it to be most reliable if you set the panel into transfer mode manually. There is a setting to do it automatically (Enable Remote Control), but I havent got it to work 100% of the times.

Another tip: When working with the Control Panel, it is a real help to install a normal USB mouse. Much easier than using the keypad.

First of all , i could not really understand the structure of two ports of PLC. how could i connect profibus connectors?
Dont you have it connected via MPI ? It is the same as via Profibus. Or do you remove the Profibus cable in order to download via MPI ? The typical is to have a Profibus connector with a "PG socket" on the PLC, and regular Profibus connectors (without PG sockets) on the panels.

what should i do in simatic manager in order to download program over profibus?
You should go to the Set PG/PC Interface utility and select the adapter, and then change it from MPI to Profibus.

thanks, jasper...

i am pretty sure that i have made right settings on the OP.
i haven't change PG/PC Interface before your reply. Altough , it did not help after changing :(

i am using USB/MPI cable. now, should i connect the profibus connector to x1(MPI) port or X2(DP) port? and should i connect MPI cable to the profibus connector? when i choose PROFIBUS from PG/PC menu , i cant communicate eith the PLC. is that normal?

it would be great if you tell me about physical connections.

I have programmed TP170's over Profibus (CPU is a 317-2DP). The only way I could do it is if the programmer is connected to the Profibus as well.

Hi hemşerim,

If you have a RS485 repeater you will be able to programm over it, you may use this part to program the OP or MP via MPI.But you must adjust the addressing well.

emokar said:
i am using USB/MPI cable. now, should i connect the profibus connector to x1(MPI) port or X2(DP) port? and should i connect MPI cable to the profibus connector?
If you want to use Profibus, both must be connected to X2 port.
In order to connect the USB/MPI adapter to the X2 port as the same time as the Profibus cable, the connector must be of the type with a PG socket.
Notice: You CANNOT connect the USB/MPI adapter to the Profibus port on the panel. It does not have the necessary 24V for the USB/MPI adapter.

emokar said:
when i choose PROFIBUS from PG/PC menu , i cant communicate eith the PLC. is that normal?
No, you must be able to do everything via Profibus, programming, downloading to the PLC, downloading to the panel etc.

You have to set the PG/PC interface to the same settings as the PLC and panel are set to. The station address of the PC must be unique.

In STEP7, with "available nodes" you must be able to see both the PLC and the panel.

JesperMP said:
In STEP7, with "available nodes" you must be able to see both the PLC and the panel.

this is my real problem. Now i can communicate with the PLC , but still cant download programs to the panels.
i can only see PLC when i look for available nodes.

JesperMP said:
Hi emokar.

Is that via Profibus ?
What cables are connected where ?
Does the PLC and Panel communicate with each other via Profibus ?

yes, pc-plc communicaiton is via profibus and yes panel and plc communicate via profibus when i download program via serial port.

my only problem is downloading to the panel via profibus..

Hi emokar.

Do you start the transfer from the PC without going to transfer mode on the panel first ?
Try to go to transfer mode on the panel first, then start the transfer from the PC.
(There is a setting on the panel to "allow remote control", maybe it is not set for Profibus, but even if it is set, I have found it more reliable to go to transfer mode manually).

emokar.

Quick check of comms to prove connections, switch settings etc. In Simatic manager click on accesible nodes button. If you can see the HMI addresses then you knw your cabling etc is ok and you can concentrate on HMI settings etc.

thank you all. i have fixed the problems.
i haven't checked profibus cables after succesful communication and downloading via MPI.

but then , i remembered that i have made connections again after succesful MPI connection. i realizes that i connected cables wrongly that time :( anyway , after fixing cable problem , i tried again. and it did not work again. then i thought that it could work if i make the first downloading to the op via serial cable , and it did!
So , after first downloading from serial port , settings i made in protool have been loaded to the OP. After that i can download programs to OP's via Profibus and OP's communicate with PLC correctly.

thanks again.. (especially JesperMP)

Last edited: