Virtual Machine Layout How Do You Do It?

Tim Ganz

We got 3 new laptops and are going to start setting them up soon. We will be using VMware and we are a manufacturing site. We have 13 different process lines of which there are 4 groups with 4 lines per group that have a similar function but were purchased at different points in time from different machine builders.

For my situation when laying out virtual machines should we build a Virtual Machine for each process line since each line has different RSLogix 5000 versions and different AOP’s as well as different networks and different software for non-Rockwell devices?

Or should we build one Virtual Machine with everything on it? It seems like doing one with everything will sort of defeat the purpose of the VM and software may not get along and hog the ports and such. We use a lot of Ethernet communications and USB cables from AB all with different drivers and setups.
My thought is the Virtual Machine per process line option but what do others think. How do you do it?

We have a dongle with a license of each software package for each laptop as we have like 8 license for each software we use.

Also we could have certain virtual machines on each laptop or clone them and put each virtual machine on each laptop as they have large 1TerraByte second bay hard drives and 500 Gigabyte main hard drives that are ssd type.

We got 3 new laptops and are going to start setting them up soon. We will be using VMware and we are a manufacturing site. We have 13 different process lines of which there are 4 groups with 4 lines per group that have a similar function but were purchased at different points in time from different machine builders.

For my situation when laying out virtual machines should we build a Virtual Machine for each process line since each line has different RSLogix 5000 versions and different AOP’s as well as different networks and different software for non-Rockwell devices?

Or should we build one Virtual Machine with everything on it? It seems like doing one with everything will sort of defeat the purpose of the VM and software may not get along and hog the ports and such. We use a lot of Ethernet communications and USB cables from AB all with different drivers and setups.
My thought is the Virtual Machine per process line option but what do others think. How do you do it?

We have a dongle with a license of each software package for each laptop as we have like 8 license for each software we use.

Also we could have certain virtual machines on each laptop or clone them and put each virtual machine on each laptop as they have large 1TerraByte second bay hard drives and 500 Gigabyte main hard drives that are ssd type.

I think your only limitation is hard drive storage space, and, if you've got that covered, make a VM for each 'group' of 'stuff' that shares troubleshooting and monitoring programs.

Now you may have a seldom-used, BigWare program that's common (or not), so that might just be its own VM.

The big caution, RS5000 wise is the wonderful V20.03 issue...that, in itself, may force you to one solution, if you have it.

I have VM for each HMI software package.

• FTVSE 6.0
  • FTVSE 7.0
  • FTVSE 8.0
  • InTouch x.x
  • Ignition..

I then have all the versions of PLC software on 1 machine - other than minor revision issues (21.03, as noted above) no issues really with having lots of versions for PLC software on same VM.

No need for different VM for different Logix / Studio versions unless you have a specific need.

Agree with xC0MMAND0x, keep the RSLogix all on 1 VM, if you have different PLC programming software, separate those out. If you have different SCADA packages separate those out.

You have proper windows licensing for your VMs correct?

Yes, definitely keep Rockwell separate from other PLCs programming software.

Will the 3 laptops be working on different ethernet subnets? If so, use NetSetMan to create the IP addresses etc for different network logins depending on whichever one they are on and the VM will point to the network adapter.

As long at Logix5000 contains all the versions you need, expect for the clash between 20.01 and 20.03, then you should be fine. Logix5 and 500 are usually OK.

What about different equipment needing different AOP's and different versions of AOP's etc.

That is the only thing that has me eneasy about making a AB PLC software VM to be used palnt wide thus the reason I was looking at the VM per line /process option.

What are your thoughts on handling the different versions of AOP's and such?

study of the level of the gods. Newbie learning involved here :)
g.png

I setup similar to others here with each minor version on a different VM. I put my licenses on my main laptop and then setup an isolated network (VMNat8 in my case) where all of the VMs can see the license using a server of '[email protected]' where .1 is the main laptop. This is an additional network adapter I add to each machine as well as the VMNat1 which is Bridged to the host adapter. Also on the VMNat8 I set individual static IPs with no gateway. I found if I let it auto set the IP it would put in a gateway and that would hose up my internet connection for those VMs trying to use the Bridged connection.