RSLogix 500 won't open file

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
RSLogix Micro Starter v 8.10.00

When I try to open a file which I believe is for a ML1100 system I get the following message:
"The project with unsupported processor can not be opened by RSLogix Micro"

When I start a new project I can select processors from the ML1000, ML1100, ML1200, ML1400, and ML1500 range.

Is this a version level issue?

Steve you could try upgrading to version 8.3 but I don't think that will help you. I suspect that the problem is that the processor is something other than a ML1000 or ML1100, in which case you'll need to find someone you can trust and get a disclosure waiver from the customer.

Steve it could be a newer 1100 not sopported I have the lateest ver of micro development and rs 500 if you need I could sign a non disclosure for you and open it PM me if you get in a bind. I have a spare lic. I could mabey host to you if need be.
Best Regards, Steve
PM me if you need help

Last edited:
RSLogix 500 version 8.10 was released in 2008, but it ought to support the MicroLogix 1100 Series B controllers. "Micro Starter" should work with any MicroLogix-family controller; it's only the "free" or "lite" version that is restricted to the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100.

The MicroLogix 1100 Release Notes for FRN11 suggest that FRN11 is a maintenance release, and that RSLogix 500 version 8.10 should support any MicroLogix 1100 controller.

This suggests that either the program file is corrupt, or that the revision notes are incomplete. RSLogix 500 is currently at version 8.40.

If your business arrangements restrict you from upgrading to the current release or allowing your program to be examined by another party, you're stuck.

Was this file emailed to you? I have found that RSS files that are emailed without being zipped can be corrupted. I think it gets worked on by virus detection software on the way. Not really sure but I think I got a similar error.

Was this file emailed to you? I have found that RSS files that are emailed without being zipped can be corrupted. I think it gets worked on by virus detection software on the way. Not really sure but I think I got a similar error.

We had this happen may times when emailed from AOL accounts in the past.

I think that's the problem. The file I can't open is on my thumb drive. I had a similar problem with another .rss file on the same thumb drive. I have a couple of of .rss files from the same customer that I copied from the customer's thumb drive to my hard drive and I can open those without any problems.

Steve, I was able to open both of the files in the thread you cited.

The .RSS files are what are known as a Microsoft Structured Storage file. A structured storage file is a larger master file that contains multiple folders and files. You can open .RSS files using 7-zip and see the inner structure of the file. If the file is corrupt its possible that you might be able to determine so by trying to open it with 7-zip.

Here is a screen shot of the innards of a .RSS file in 7-zip.

attachment.php

Steve,

Just a little quick check.

Have you tried to copy the file from your thumb drive to your desktop. I have had problems in the past and just doing that has made the files open.

Mark