Forum customisation !!!

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
OK, here I go again... perhaps I did not read enough but I really did not find this info.

How can I see the beginning of a thread under the thread title... as in the old forum?

Seing only title is kinda hard to decide if I want to read it.

I agree

Yes, I too subscribe to his opinion. The ability to see the first sentences of a thread seemed very helpful in deciding to read it or not...

And of course, the smily face: :mad:

Another forum that I frequent uses the VB software. You can hover over the subject in the thread view and it will bring up a tooltip box with the first sentence or two.

Last edited:
I guess this is the thread to start on complaints about the new forum.

I miss the Table Of Contents, and the indentation that the old forum had. Some of the conversations got pretty convoluted, with multiple conversations going on simultaneously. With this format (with a reply only at the top and bottom, it looks like it's going to be single-treaded, instead of multi-threaded. The TOC had the replyer's name, too, which also added to the enjoyment ("Oh-oh, Terry's replied to Peter's comment")

I'm also not crazy about watching one smiley bonking another all the time I write this post. I'll have to look through the options to see if that smiley window can be ditched. I can disable smileys from vB code (which is certainly an improvement, It was a pain to type N7:10, and having some stupid smiley appear in the post.

Well, time to play some more....

©¿©¬

I'd like to know how george got to be a senior member. Age thing, no offense george. Now I see the smiley boinking thing, might have to hit my monitor with a hammer here in a minute. The 2 having beer look ok though. I suppose we'll all be used to this pretty quick.

Just noticed I'm a junior member with one post, I've been demoted. I must have done something wrong logging in, oh well, the price of progress.

Dave Williams said:
Just noticed I'm a junior member with one post, I've been demoted. I must have done something wrong logging in, oh well, the price of progress.
Hi Dave,
Right now it's set for member = 30-99 posts
senior member = 100+ posts
under 30 posts is junior member.

I just revised your post count to include posts from old board, as I did for his. Post again and the title will change to 'member'.

I'll soon change the title names to something 'better'.
Thx,
Phil

Allen Nelson said:
snip...
I'm also not crazy about watching one smiley bonking another all the time I write this post. I'll have to look through the options to see if that smiley window can be ditched. I can disable smileys from vB code (which is certainly an improvement, It was a pain to type N7:10, and having some stupid smiley appear in the post.

Hi,

Good point. Flashing smilies are gone from the window.
FYI-
If you still wish to disable the smilies(and code buttons) from showing:
click on profile>edit options>Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?(choose no).

You can still use code (like ladder, etc) by manually entering the codes like on the old board.

Thx,
Phil

Last edited:
Re: I agree

Bitmaster said:
Yes, I too subscribe to his opinion. The ability to see the first sentences of a thread seemed very helpful in deciding to read it or not...

Good point. On the existing home page
http://www.plcs.net
you can see the latest topics and the first few sentences. (for the old board) I just modified the cgi so that it will work with this board. (I'll change it soon as a few more posts show up here)

Anyway, I'll take that modified code and tweak this board a bit more so that the feature can return to the threads.

And of course, the smily face: :mad:

See my previous reply above to disable the smilies box.
Thx,
Phil

Last edited: