Modicon 984 serial to ethernet

vtfan

Hello all.

I have a customer who has a Modicon 984 PLC system in place. Currently, this PLC is talking to an Intellution station via RS-232 connection.

This facility is going through a large scale upgrade of their other PLC's in house, mostly AB 5/04 to 5/05 for Ethernet comm's.

This 984 PLC needs to do the same. I'm looking for some input on a serial to Ethernet converter, Ethernet card to put in the existing rack, or an upgrade of the processor (and only the processor) for the existing 984 I/O rack.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We can get the proper Intellution drivers for Ethernet comm's once we settle on a hardware upgrade / conversion.

Thanks,

Pat

You don't say what model processor you have. There are rack mounted convertors for the Quantum family and the new generation of Compact controllers.

Your best choice is probably a stand alone device like the Modicon 174CEV30011 Modbus serial to Modbus TCP convertor or a similar product from Lantronics or B&B Electronics.

As mentioned, Modicon makes the Modbus to Ethernet bridge. The part number is 174 CEV 300 20. The part number has been recently changed to the 20. I have been using this setup for a couple of years now with good results. Another way to do it is: put in a Quantum rack and processor with a remote I/O head (CRP module) and convert the program to Concept then run the 800 series as a remote I/O drop. This works well also. I have heard that Modicon might be developing a terminal board adapter that will allow plugging the existing 800 series terminals directly to Quantum I/O modules which will greatly simplify upgrading to Quantum but have not actually seen one yet.

Steve