Controllogix communication to micro 1400 via Ethernet

Jeff23spl

Is there an availaible exemple somewhere or an ''how to doing it''

I have 5 micro 1400 cpu to be controled by 1 controllogix using ethernet/IP network

I would like to do all the communication work inside the contrologix if possible (Reading and writting)

I'm aware about the data adressing difference between RS500 and RS5000 so i wouldn't start in the wrong way

Any help would be appreciated

thanks i did start to look at that but will do test next week

i had to figure out how to create the msg tag but i think it works fine

About the second screen shot, is it the ip adress of the other device ? Do you need to be online with both to configure this entry ?

You may also want to glance through this thread as well.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61491

I was using a CompactLogix as opposed to the ControlLogix, but the same issue may be present.

All of my communication routines we originally in the L35E, but ultimately I ended up shifting them to the ML1400.

There are some attachments on the thread that also show some messaging code.

did you shifted to ml1400 to ease of use or it solved your reconnection issue by being more basic on the ml side ?

Last edited:
did you shifted to ml1400 to ease of use ?

The answer to that question is in the thread.

To make a long story short. The Logix5000 processor has some port keep alive issues. The messaging code in the ML1400 was identical to the code in the L35E.

You will also benefit from learning "SLC typed mapping" on the Logix5000 side.

Humm while trying it today i just seen that i don't have the firmware of my brand new plc is there a place to see the minimum RS5000 software version to use with each plc because i actually run v17 and i have a L73...I tried to download some EDS file but can i install it to be able to run a L73 with V17 or i absolutely need to use a newer version ?

Ok i updated my RS5000 and get online but when trying the msg instruction i don't find where i type in the remote ip adress of the device i want to write to or read from ?

The communication path give me just access to my local eth module?

message1, shows config, data sent is integer.
message2, shows ip address of micrologix.
Slc Write type.

can you type here the exact path speling because with the print screen i'm not sure for space and dot/period placement

Because i did try few option but all of them gave me a error:
''Failed to set the path value, .... use of period or alphabetic is reserved to ip adress which cannot appear as first field of the path''
LocalENB. 2. 10.8.11.241

ok and now i have :
fail to set path value, module could not be found ...

Should i do something to tell RS5000 that i have micrologix connected to it's network path ? Because also my msg screen as 1 more option than the one shown but desactivated ''grey' called ''Broadcast''

IT seem that the path entry just let me set a local i/o module when the Micro1400 plc i have to talk to is not on the local rack but connected thru an ip network...

To send a MSG from a ControlLogix to a MicroLogix 1400, you must enter the CIP Path manually.

Do not attempt to put the MicroLogix 1400 into the I/O tree.

Do not use anything except the SLC Typed Read or SLC Typed Write messages.

The CIP Path described earlier should work, but another thing you can attempt is to add "1, 0" to the end, so that the whole path is:

LocalENB, 2, 10.8.11.241, 1, 0

Having the MicroLogix as the target device should work, but adding a "Backplane, Slot 0" is a safe test.

Be sure to disable whatever logic is triggering the MSG instruction if you want to change any of its parameters online: you cannot alter an Enabled MSG.

i did find the issue, when configuring my hardware, i gave a symbolic name to my EN2T module so at the place of ''localENB'' i just put the card name and it works for 1 value...!

Now i just have to figure out the whole block on each plc using array size etc instead of having plenty of message function