Electric motor failure detection

IdealDan

Hi Friends!
I'm working on proffering a solution to automate Industrial Electric Fan Motors' Failed/Not blowing status for Remote Monitoring. These Fans does NOT have any sensor to detect when it is turning or not.
My Question:
1. Is it possible to install sensor to such fan motors(3-Phase)? and if YES which sensor can you recommend please?

Do you want to monitor the current flowing through the motor, or actually monitor the fan speed or stall status ?

In general, you probably want a "phase monitoring relay". These are available with varying degrees of sophistication from multiple vendors.

Phase monitoring is often built into a protective relay used in conjunction with the motor starter contactor. What kind of contactors or motor starters do you have on these fans now ?

I'm throwing in a simple vote for a magnetic or inductive prox. Ultimately you want to know if the fan is turning. Have it detect the pulses over time, compare those. If it falls under, you know the motor is dead or possibly on it's way out.

You can certainly monitor load with CT's, but at the added cost of CT's and analog inputs. With a prox, you can use a cheap PLC and prox sensor.

I'm throwing in a simple vote for a magnetic or inductive prox. Ultimately you want to know if the fan is turning. Have it detect the pulses over time, compare those. If it falls under, you know the motor is dead or possibly on it's way out.

You can certainly monitor load with CT's, but at the added cost of CT's and analog inputs. With a prox, you can use a cheap PLC and prox sensor.
Does the installation of the prox require reconstruction of any kind on the fan?

Does the installation of the prox require reconstruction of any kind on the fan?

I guess that depends on the fan and what you want to monitor? Do you want to monitor motor shaft speed? If it's belt drive, do you want to measure driven shaft speed? Do you not really care, you just need to know if the motor starts running slower than a "calibrated speed"?

A 18mm inductive or magnetic prox would work fine. Possibly even a polarized retroreflective. With the former, you would need to detect metal or a magnet passing. With the latter, you would need to see a break in the beam.

If it's a belt drive fan with "spoke" type sheaves, you could mount a prox behind the sheave and it would detect a spoke every time it passes, giving you a pulse to count. If you do some math with it, you could determine the true RPM of the fan or motor shaft. Even a cheap $70 Click PLC with a $30 prox sensor could do that with just a few rungs of code.

Depending on the spoke or fan blade configuration (and this is assuming a permanently mounted fan), you could shoot the beam through the fan to a reflector and count pulses that way. That would depend on blades on the fan, fan speed, blade width, etc etc.

Just for kicks and grins (and because I'm in the middle of building a panel and I had a retroreflective sensor sitting here with a 20" 5-blade fan), I did a quick test.

Over 10 seconds with the fan on high, I registered 792 pulses. Over the same time period on low, I registered 592 pulses. This was shooting a cheap visible red retroreflective sensor through a box fan to a reflector on the other side of the fan housing and doing it handheld. The fan has zero specs on it, so I don't know how many rpm it is supposed to be turning, but at the very least it gives a quantifiable number that you can calibrate against. I know that if I'm getting less than say, 52 pulses per second, something is not quite right.

I guess that depends on the fan and what you want to monitor? Do you want to monitor motor shaft speed? If it's belt drive, do you want to measure driven shaft speed? Do you not really care, you just need to know if the motor starts running slower than a "calibrated speed"?

A 18mm inductive or magnetic prox would work fine. Possibly even a polarized retroreflective. With the former, you would need to detect metal or a magnet passing. With the latter, you would need to see a break in the beam.

If it's a belt drive fan with "spoke" type sheaves, you could mount a prox behind the sheave and it would detect a spoke every time it passes, giving you a pulse to count. If you do some math with it, you could determine the true RPM of the fan or motor shaft. Even a cheap $70 Click PLC with a $30 prox sensor could do that with just a few rungs of code.

Depending on the spoke or fan blade configuration (and this is assuming a permanently mounted fan), you could shoot the beam through the fan to a reflector and count pulses that way. That would depend on blades on the fan, fan speed, blade width, etc etc.

Just for kicks and grins (and because I'm in the middle of building a panel and I had a retroreflective sensor sitting here with a 20" 5-blade fan), I did a quick test.

Over 10 seconds with the fan on high, I registered 792 pulses. Over the same time period on low, I registered 592 pulses. This was shooting a cheap visible red retroreflective sensor through a box fan to a reflector on the other side of the fan housing and doing it handheld. The fan has zero specs on it, so I don't know how many rpm it is supposed to be turning, but at the very least it gives a quantifiable number that you can calibrate against. I know that if I'm getting less than say, 52 pulses per second, something is not quite right.
Hi Brandon K, I appreciate alot for your input, On this application, I just care to know when the Fan stops completely so as to information Maintenance Dept via alarm that a Pump has failed, that all. Speed(rpm)not does not matter here. Then I will also incorporate Remote ON/OFF of the 120 Industrial Fans. These fans are not static, they move back and forth by some drive system.
YOUR FURTHER INPUT WILL GREATLY BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS IN .ADVANCE