CompactLogix and MQTT

Snyd1

Guys, I have a compactlogix project that needs to log discrete input tags to an MQTT broker (server). Done a little reading and I don't think I can accomplish this without another piece of hardware but would love some input from others.

Originally planned on adding a redlion cr3000 to easily create csv files and FTP to a network but customer is going with MQTT. Is there a simple solution to communicate straight from the compactlogix on the MQTT protocol or is there support for something like the CR3000 HMI to publish data to the MQTT server?

Unsure atm what the customer is using for their broker, Ignition, Mosquito other, will that make a difference in my options?

whatever the solution is, easier the better (obviously this is new territory for me)

Guys, I have a compactlogix project that needs to log discrete input tags to an MQTT broker (server). Done a little reading and I don't think I can accomplish this without another piece of hardware but would love some input from others.

Originally planned on adding a redlion cr3000 to easily create csv files and FTP to a network but customer is going with MQTT. Is there a simple solution to communicate straight from the compactlogix on the MQTT protocol or is there support for something like the CR3000 HMI to publish data to the MQTT server?

Unsure atm what the customer is using for their broker, Ignition, Mosquito other, will that make a difference in my options?

whatever the solution is, easier the better (obviously this is new territory for me)

I would say check with the customer. If they are using Ignition, then you really won't need to worry about anything other than documenting tag names. Ignition's CirrusLink MQTT modules were developed by Arlen Nipper, the inventor of MQTT.

Are you planning on using a Red Lion Graphite-series HMI anyhow ?

They very recently introduced MQTT protocol support on the Graphite series (C3000 and Edge/Core Controllers) with Crimson 3.1.

I only know about it due to YouTube's recommendation algorithm; they posted a demo of the C3000 publishing to Amazon Web Services via MQTT last Tuesday.

Are you planning on using a Red Lion Graphite-series HMI anyhow ?

They very recently introduced MQTT protocol support on the Graphite series (C3000 and Edge/Core Controllers) with Crimson 3.1.

I only know about it due to YouTube's recommendation algorithm; they posted a demo of the C3000 publishing to Amazon Web Services via MQTT last Tuesday.

A local display really is not necessary for the application I was only going to use the CR30000 for ease of the built in data logger and local storage. Local storage is not necessary come to find out, the main goal is to have real time data to their MQTT server (although I have a feeling historical will be wanted in some fashion unsure how MQTT will manage to hand it off in a readable fashion like csv)

Just something to keep an open mind with!

If customer is going to use MQTT protocol, you really owe it to yourself and your customer to look at Maple Systems Hmi.

They have some models that can be a "Publisher and Subscriber" at the same time, this would mean as the customers expands(grows) they will be able to have a single HMI that can subscribe to multiple location that is publishing MQTT Data.

Almost all of their Hmi's can store data, and can be retieved through FTP and imported into Excel spread.

They are very affordable.

Now if Ignition is involved all you will need is the MQTT engine from Cirrus Link.

Compactlogix talks direct to Ignition and then Ignition will publish "Tags" in the MQTT protocol to a MQTT Broker. From here any subscriber will be able to retrieve the data.

Yeah probably right on the maple systems. There does not seem to be that much out there for edge devices/gateways that support MQTT yet. They are not using Ignition the MQTT server will be of IBM. Need to do some more research but from what I have already glanced at the Advanced HMI line and cMT line support the MQTT protocol. Since display really wont be used maybe the cMT gateway would be a sensible option?