RS232 Communications

pauly

I am attempting to get some information from a Janome servo press via its RS232 port. I have a piece of software from the manufactures of the press which uploads what it calls teaching data (parameters etc) and when I do this when monitoring the port on the p.c. I see a lot of of hex ascii characters. None of which mean much to me. Are there any "standard" commands associated with RS232 devices that could be picked out of the data stream copy attached? Without any information from the manufacturer what would the serial comms experts on the forum advise would be my next step to creating the correct message in order to receive the information I need from the press? As I said I have found a software utility that monitors serial port traffic

What kind of information are you trying to get from it? Unless you get lucky, most manufacturers use proprietary communication protocols that will be very difficult to decipher without spending a lot of time.

Taking a wild-*** guess: the D2, D3, D5 may be commands and the next character (03 or 43) could be an address. If so, it looks like the third character is the message length since the number of characters (the actual message?) following it always matches that value. I doubt that is very helpful to you though, but at least it's a start.