Linx GATEWAY Question w/Excel

brettdawnj

I have searched this site and others and I am confused on how to get data in and out of ANY WORKSTATION on the network without having to have a version of Linx on the local workstation. If I load Linx on each station, my application works fine. But this would cost a fortune to do for many computers.

So my thinking is to have (1) copy of Linx Gateway on a central server and then let any of the individual workstations call up the data via accessing it from this copy of Linx Gateway. Does this sound correct or is my understanding of Gateway incorrect?

And if this will work, what is the difference in the code that I would use in the excel sheet if the copy of linx is not locally on this computer but on a server with Gateway.

Any other items I need to be cautious of in this type of application?

Brett

RSLinx Gateway originally got its name because it allowed remote RSLinx computers on a TCP/IP network access to the data from local DH+ and other PLC-specific network interfaces.

It also can act as a remote data server using DDE or OPC.

Network DDE and Remote OPC come with their own set of challenges.

NetDDE support was omitted from Windows Vista, and is disabled by default in Windows XPSP2.

Remote OPC always requires some careful configuration of DCOM permissions.

A really excellent article on NetDDE and OPC, written by a vendor who knows them intimately:

http://blog.matrikonopc.com/index.php/2006/07/

Great site to recommend to learn about dde and opc. Linx Gateway is still not clear to me if it is using netdde or opc type connections. There is virturally no literature on this that I can find and the help files are quite scarce from what I am able to find.

I am not sure if the recommendation is that Linx Gateway is the proper tool for this type of application, or if I should be looking another direction to accomplish getting data out AB plc's and into all the computers on the network. Any thoughts or suggestions on what is most appropriate at a reasonable cost?

Ken... thanks for your site recommendation. My knowledge is increasing, but still not there yet.

Brett

I think you're right about RSLinx Gateway not being the correct application for your situation. It is used to connect multiple RSLinx-es to PLCs that are connected to the RSLinx Gateway.
edit - Ken's post seems to imply that you could use it for remote DDE calls (in Excel). I've only ever done that locally. Try it before quoting it. My experience has been that anything DCOM over the network, particularly the default security settings, is a huge pain in the tail.

I would give Software Toolbox a call. They resell lots of little OPC type utilities (for the same price as the original companies products, I think) and provide advice/support. I'm thinking that the OPC Datahub would do it for you. To be honest, I've never used it. They should be able to point you in the right direction. I'd be surprised if they don't have an application that's ideal for you.

Please post how it goes.

Last edited:
It says you can do it (as a bullet point). I still think it'd be significantly easier and probably more reliable to go with a cheap version of RSLinx (probably OEM), then an 3rd party OPC utility to spread the data. Even Ken (the AB expert) says remote DCOM is a pain. That's not an understatement!

Mickey said:
Below is an exsert from the RSLinx Getting started manual.
(see bottom half of page)

surferb said:
It says you can do it (as a bullet point). I still think it'd be significantly easier and probably more reliable to go with a cheap version of RSLinx (probably OEM), then an 3rd party OPC utility to spread the data. Even Ken (the AB expert) says remote DCOM is a pain. That's not an understatement!

Cheap? Well its all relative I guess.

cheap.jpg

Ouch - isn't OEM the cheapest 'Classic' version besides single node (which may work for the OP)? There are sub $400 AB OPC servers that would work and Kepware EX is great at $795. Sounded like OP had some version of RSLinx already.

Even with those prices OPC Datahub and RSLinx OEM is only slightly more expensive than RSLinx Gateway. Single user and datahub are cheaper.

Now for my opinion - I think Excel to PLCs via DDE is a bad idea and poor design in every example I can think of, although I'd be willing to concede that justifiable applications probably exist. I hope OP has a better experience than I did in the late 90s with Excel in the startup folder set to auto-run clunky VB macros that interfaced with the PLC via DDE. I had non-linear lookup tables that the PLC needed to access. The PLC could even work with the old value if the PC was down. Oh what a nightmare! Talk about too many potential points of failure. Excel needed to be open at all times, the macro needed to run, RSLinx had to open first, there was some hacky startup delay because opening too early caused an unrecoverable problem (if a person wasn't there), etc, etc. And that was local - I didn't have to include remote DCOM (as the OP would with his proposed setup with Excel and RSLinx Gateway).

My application is quite simple as I am just monitoring many points in the feild on a prduction line. A very simple "Andon" type application that is not dangerous or hazardous in any way. Basically I have a compact logic L35E that talks to a panelview to display all the current and historical information of the system. The PLC stores everything so the data is available from there (it is almost like a little data base).

Basically there is storage for current, past 5 day average performance, past 5 week average performance and finally the past 5 month average performance. The system was designed to have only the one panelview on the shop floor to force the support people and management to go to the shop floor to see reality (trying to eliminate as much shooting from the hip management from closed office doors and lots of data on their PC's).

This phase of the project has worked quite well as they are asking me to duplicate this system multiple times in the factory. I am just wanting to know my options if they want to get the data off the shop floor and on to the network PC's. I thought I might put some very high level indicators on their desktops so they can see what is happening when they happen to be back at the office.

Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Brett,
Your application sounds quite successful. Limited PLC memory will force historical data scalability to a different (PC based) approach.

FactoryPMI was designed for that exact migration - to work for plant level control, but also scale to managers desks and beyond. The real key to distributed data access is getting the data into an SQL database (or using a distributed or web based application, which typically uses one). The point is that your end users are running some client application (a web browser or install-less client app) to access that data - as opposed to a heavy HMI that has a local copy of RSLinx. You'll also want to investigate how pricing scales with concurrent clients - it doesn't with FactoryPMI.

A data logger, which will either be a hardware device or software application is a cheap way to dump data somewhere. It may be enough to copy the files to .CSV to read in Excel (TOTALLY DIFFERENT than using Excel to read from the PLC via DDE). Most hardware devices will upload a separate file each day to an FTP directory. Software utilities will write the files locally. Each case can easily be shared across the network. Your advantages are that the system is cheap and simple and your users can do pretty cool stuff in Excel (create graphs, manipulate the data, etc). Your disadvantages are that data mining is pretty much impossible - well, totally manual (you can't query spreadsheets that are stored in different files), and that it's not presented in a nice or customizable way. A more powerful data logger would get your data into Access at the very least or, better yet, a real SQL database. You have all the advantages as described above, except the system is more powerful, manageable, and complex.

Looking into my crystal ball the obvious next problem is that management would prefer to access and visualize data in a user friendly format. A heavy hitting IT department could make this happen with an SQL database directly with lots of man-hours of labor. For the rest of us, you're getting into what the industry refers to as a historian - a software package that includes some front end that provides trending and other visualization to augment the engine that's logging the data. A good historian should include the option to dump any data that the user's looking at to a .CSV file to use in a spreadsheet. You often then get into dynamic reporting, which is to produce nice looking printable summary reports that analyze your data over some time period.

Try to get the best estimate of how large your project could expand - this often isn't easy or possible. Simple dataloggers may or may not suit your needs. If your needs expand with coolness factor, they probably will not. Most vendors make a clear separation of HMI/SCADA software, historians, web access plugins, reporting, and so on and have some migration path to expand with you. I would recommend that you sign up for a free web demo from Inductive Automation to learn about the option of using SQL databases and a web based approach and whether that makes sense for your situation.

The most important question is what you're ultimately trying to accomplish. There are cheap ways to expand that will get you a lot of bang for your buck, but you may hit a "glass ceiling". If you have the big bucks to spend any vendor will provide a scaleable model.

brettdawnj said:
My application is quite simple as I am just monitoring many points in the feild on a prduction line. A very simple "Andon" type application that is not dangerous or hazardous in any way. Basically I have a compact logic L35E that talks to a panelview to display all the current and historical information of the system. The PLC stores everything so the data is available from there (it is almost like a little data base).

Basically there is storage for current, past 5 day average performance, past 5 week average performance and finally the past 5 month average performance. The system was designed to have only the one panelview on the shop floor to force the support people and management to go to the shop floor to see reality (trying to eliminate as much shooting from the hip management from closed office doors and lots of data on their PC's).

This phase of the project has worked quite well as they are asking me to duplicate this system multiple times in the factory. I am just wanting to know my options if they want to get the data off the shop floor and on to the network PC's. I thought I might put some very high level indicators on their desktops so they can see what is happening when they happen to be back at the office.

Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Last edited: