AB Power Supply Module failuring

denniskt

Hello friends,
I am new to automation field.So I need your help to find reason for a problem.
Our system uses a power supply module 1769-PA4 for a Compact Logix L35E processor.We have installed the system around 5 months before.We faced a problem last month that Power Supply module damage.We replaced the module and the PLC started working.But after 10-15 days this problem again happened.
can somebody please help me to find the root cause of the powers supply module failure from your knowledge ?

As someone already said, overload.

What are all the modules (in order from PLC) that are on that rack?

What is the environment the controller is in? Can it be dirt or moisture? Condensation can form in conduit if temperature conditions are right.

This PLC is sitting at a control panel and an AC operates inside .But there no chance of condensation as the modules r properly sealed

i think james mean if the configuration is overloading it by having too much load on it....too much cards or any dc output loaded to the plc powersupply if it can happend

The other option is to get surge or overvoltage spike....

Then at the end if too much vibration from a panel installed on a working machine instead of across a solid wall....

Grounding? Vibration? Give us some more clues about your system...
I have checked GND first time itself.The PLC GND is properly connected only.

And the PLC is mounted on a heavy weight control panel and the panel is well away from machine is not much vibratory. So hope that the chance of vibration is not at all.

Can u plz tell me more clues which may cause this problem so that i can cross check that.

Input voltage too high?
Yes Bob,there is some problem with input supply here.Here we observed that there is a voltage fluctuation occasionally.Its range is +/-35V input.
But I have doubt,why the fluctuation affects only PLC and not other devices in the panel if input voltage is the problem!!!!

Different brand of power supply, different voltage limits, different levels of tolerance to over voltage - common problem.

Apart from input power supply problem, can anyone plz suggest some other ?

You seem to dismiss this problem so fast, why?

Like BobB aid, if it is exceeding the tolerances of the power supply, it will create problems.

It also depends what the Power Supply Input Voltage is. If it was 120VAC in, well then 35V+/- is a huge deal, percentage wise thats 30%! if its 480V well then thats 7% which isnt too bad.

I would reccomend a HD Power Conditioner to help regulate it better.
Also, if this is running on a generator, you might want to check the voltage regulation on the generator, and deffinately would want a filter in a generator fed situation.

Last edited:
You seem to dismiss this problem so fast, why?

Like BobB aid, if it is exceeding the tolerances of the power supply, it will create problems.

It also depends what the Power Supply Input Voltage is. If it was 120VAC in, well then 35V+/- is a huge deal, percentage wise thats 30%! if its 480V well then thats 7% which isnt too bad.

I would reccomend a HD Power Conditioner to help regulate it better.
Also, if this is running on a generator, you might want to check the voltage regulation on the generator, and deffinately would want a filter in a generator fed situation.
No sir,I didn't drop the issue.Actually I can come online some time only.
Here we are using 415V input supply.and we convert that into 240V using one transformer.Can u plz tell me what is the usual tolerance level for this condition?
Also ,the current rating of the power supply fuse is 3.15A.But ,the circuit breaker for PLC in control panel was 10A.I feel that it may be a reason for Power Supply module failure if the voltage variation creates problem.So i changed the circuit breaker from 10A to 3A after second failure.Will it creates any affect on PLC operation?