Beckhoff vs. Allen Bradley... who is better?

I've built systems with Beckhoff and Control Logix and both have advantages, the Beckhoff system you can do a lot of fancy programming, Reading UDP packets, wirting files, as well as real time communications and handling the processes.

BUT:
Unless you write script... the Ladder is PANTS
Retentive Data is Flaky during a black start
If you don't commit to bootstrap you loose the program changes on power restart.
Getting Online (error tracing) sometimes Beckhoff want you to download and you loose everything.

Serveral Times I've said if I built this with Allen Bradley we wouldn't have these problems!.

I've built systems with Beckhoff and Control Logix and both have advantages, the Beckhoff system you can do a lot of fancy programming, Reading UDP packets, wirting files, as well as real time communications and handling the processes.

BUT:
Unless you write script... the Ladder is PANTS
Retentive Data is Flaky during a black start
If you don't commit to bootstrap you loose the program changes on power restart.
Getting Online (error tracing) sometimes Beckhoff want you to download and you loose everything.

Serveral Times I've said if I built this with Allen Bradley we wouldn't have these problems!.

I am not familiar with AB but in beckhoff i haven't have any issues with retentive data.

Twincat have checkbox for updating bootproject on every download, if that is the issue you mean. Then you have always the newest version of code on power cycle.

I have faced that download issue on login and most of the times the solution to skip that was perform new build before logging in. Espsecially in TwinCat 3

I am not familiar with AB but in beckhoff i haven't have any issues with retentive data.

Twincat have checkbox for updating bootproject on every download, if that is the issue you mean. Then you have always the newest version of code on power cycle.

I have faced that download issue on login and most of the times the solution to skip that was perform new build before logging in. Espsecially in TwinCat 3

no, with beckhoff you need to take care of retentive memory that the program might use. For example, setpoint that can be set and changed through HMI, you need to use right datatype and also write it to the memory as retentive if the plc is stopped.