Can't go online, upload... RSLogix 500

OK, lets see what happens...
Beer in hand... Check
Both processors online with both Ethernet drivers... Check
Full system backup complete... Check
Restore point complete... Check
No new updates... Check

Will shut everything down and install FTVME again. Could be a blackout for a while...

OK, are you ready for this?

I did install FTVME V11, but not View Point. See pic...
After installation and reboot, I did open RS500 with both programs and went online, respectively with both drivers... Seemed to work fine...

Well, then I opened FTVME... That's where the fun begins... LOL

The old Ethernet Devices would go online with the SLC for maybe about 10 seconds or so, then it lost communications, so a retry connected back, but it lost again... Over and Over...

The ML1400 came up with the 0x4 error, that seems to be viral at this point. See pic...

What did work this time with both processors and is working stable online is to delete the Ethernet/IP driver and just use the old Ethernet Devices driver. Haven't had any kick out issues once I deleted the NEWER DRIVER. F... ME!

So, It really is an issue with Factory Talk View ME, which is a program I may dabble with about every 5 years or so.

FTVME Install.jpg

ML1400-2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... what a fun afternoon :) (couple days)

Its my beer time now 🍻
It is technically after beer 30... 🍻
I'm not sure this will help anyone else, but it is just what I discovered. And a very time consuming discovery at that...

Have fun, enjoy... I'm just gonna roll this ***** back to earlier today.

If you slap this on the side of your hard drive after installing FCTME View, all the glitches will go away:
d80-d32xh10mm-grade-n40m-speaker-magnet_801313.jpg

🍻

I haven't forgotten around 2007 I was "upgrading" from RSView Studio 4.0 to 4.5 (or 5.0 to something?) and that process pushed me into a level of p***ed off I have never been before in my life ... to paraphrase Ron White. I was ready to toss my computer down the stairs.

It trashed the windows registry. The company I worked for had a really good IT group and it took them 3 days to get that computer working again and then I had to re-install autocad. All this because I needed to add a button to a panel-puke plus.

Yeah I have been bent over by FCTME View a couple of times...it is the reason we pay for techconnect. You have to have access to the 20,000+ tech notes to be able to work with that turd-ware.

Oh, I agree...
The customer is reimbursing me for the cost of the software, and I will be transferring the license to them, and on their laptop.

All I really had to do on this PVP is to delete a few screen items left behind from XXXXX when he got on this last and were causing the operators confusion. Plus, there were three different run time's on the terminal without description, so that was a **** shoot at best.

I also did fix a lot of the plc program, so that's all working fine now.

I love the guy, my old bosses brother, but this was a bit messy, and he left it that way. I could not leave something like that.

I wonder if you shut down RSLinxNG.exe and RSLinxNG02.exe (maybe stop the services) if it would work again?

I don't know. I could possibly play with it tomorrow. I'm not getting paid to fix this ****, and it is working for the most part.
Chances of me using this software again is rather slim. I am quoting a control upgrade to this system, and will suggest a G15 in place of the PVP.

I wonder if you shut down RSLinxNG.exe and RSLinxNG02.exe (maybe stop the services) if it would work again?

OK, I tried this.

Old driver works fine with the SLC, and can go online. Does not recognize the ML1400 or my laptop. See pic's.

New driver recognizes the ML1400, not the SLC, but also cannot go online with the ML1400. Get the 0x4 error.

RSL OLD.jpg RSL NEW.jpg 0x4 1.jpg RSL OLD1.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I found something else.

I put it back the way it was. The old Ethernet driver now works with both processors. The new driver is working at the same time as the old, but only with the ML1400. Can go online, all that fun stuff without getting kicked out. The SLC is an older series C/FRN 5...

Here's what I found tho.
When I went into system configuration and stopped the services dmroeder suggested, I only clicked on those two.

When I went back in to click them back on, scrolling down I noticed this Brother printer service was shut down at the exact same time, and I never touched that.

That is an old printer we use to have years ago, and even with the brother uninstall, you can't get rid of it.

There could be something to this...

Brother.jpg

Last edited:
The older SLCs can't respond to the ETH-IP driver, and can only do 10MB Half Duplex. I think where you are at now is probably normal.

This is just an older SLC I have at home. The other ones I am working with are quite a bit newer, and have always worked with the ETH-IP driver.

What a long way to get back to normal... LOL

I think that Brother driver had something to do with it.

I think that Brother driver had something to do with it.

We have a Brother printer at the office that will show up as ready to use and Windows thinks your drivers are fine, but if you don't install the Brother printer management software it will not work. Once it is working, you can uninstall the bloatware and it will keep on working. The boss likes that printer and it has been super reliable though.