Direct Logic timer preset value

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Folks,
I am new to Direct Soft, but a customer has a program that need me to edit. It is a DL06.

We have a TMR function (T4) that we want to adjust the preset value. It currently says K9 for preset and I have figured out how to change it, but I am struggling to understand what "K9" actually represents.

In my research, it seems like K is a constant value...is that correct? And the 9 should be tenths of a second? But when set for K9, this timer is counting around 3 seconds. When watching the status, the current value will count to around 33 before the timer zeroes. We would like to increase the time another quarter or half a second, but I am not sure what to set the K value for??

Maybe there is something else I am missing.

In my research, it seems like K is a constant value...is that correct? And the 9 should be tenths of a second? But when set for K9, this timer is counting around 3 seconds. When watching the status, the current value will count to around 33 before the timer zeroes. We would like to increase the time another quarter or half a second, but I am not sure what to set the K value for??

Yes K is for constant

See here page 35 https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d0user/ch5.pdf

You can have time or timer fast

Well, maybe we should start with the whole program. I have attached it.
There seems to be some strange things, that I don't understand.

This is an upload so we have no comments, which shouldn't be to hard to reverse engineer because its a simple program.

Why is there a contact for T0 in Rung 2 when I don't find any T0 timer function?
It appears there is a set in Rung 1 when there is not reset for it?

K is for constant and the TMR is 1/10 second increments. Reset is remove enable. So question is how is enable being removed? is it removed at .9 seconds? just for fun you could put a normal closed T4 contact in series in enable line and that should reset it to zero when K9 is reached. FYI timer will keep counting if enable not removed.
An idea would be you can also(very powerful and cool) do a compare look at memory location for the timer current value (T4 =V4)compare it to a constant, this make a lot of programming easier, I use this a lot also tends to save on code.
Just thought is something else writing to timer current value memory location?
Timer 4 v memory location should be V4 open status view in direct soft and add V4 to see actual real time count. Look at Memory Map In Direct Soft To check memory
locations. Hope this helps.

When you change a K value timer, you have to download the change, this causes a pause at the end of the scan. If you replace the K with a V memory location you change the value with DirectSoft or HMI.

Nice, Ken I never thought of that but true. Thanks. I have thought a few times that how unhandy to download whole program to change a simple timer value. I will put that in my bag of tricks. I guess I knew that just never thought of it that way.

Old saying learn something new everyday

but whats the ER? I dont remember that being there
Probably "Enable/Reset".
When watching the status, the current value will count to around 33 before the timer zeroes
Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure but not positive the following is true for the DL06.
The timer's current value doesn't stop increasing when it reaches the preset. Timer T4 will continue to increase as long as X3 remains false. It won't stop increasing until it gets to the maximum value of 9999.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure but not positive the following is true for the DL06.
The timer's current value doesn't stop increasing when it reaches the preset. Timer T4 will continue to increase as long as X3 remains false. It won't stop increasing until it gets to the maximum value of 9999.

Understood. I realized that from reading the link that Git posted yesterday. That is not what I have been used to so I hadn't thought of watching that.

Doesn't it seem strange to have a T0 contact in Rung 2 when there is no T0 timer?

Also the SET in Rung 1 has no Reset?

X3 controls T4

I seen a screenshot of your program, T4 is controlled by X3 I do not see X3 explanation in screenshot, so T4 will continue to count until X3 is open then it will reset count to zero and be ready for next time.

So the reason for your delay past .9 seconds would be with X3.

What output is giving you problem?
Maybe more about what you are trying to accomplish?

FYI set without reset means C0 will be on forever once X0 is on and then off C0 will still be on

Last edited:
Understood. I realized that from reading the link that Git posted yesterday. That is not what I have been used to so I hadn't thought of watching that.

Doesn't it seem strange to have a T0 contact in Rung 2 when there is no T0 timer?

Also the SET in Rung 1 has no Reset?

Sounds like its a half wrote program and see attached, Steve is correct, looks like the ER is new for DS6... T1 kept running as 219 and the SP is K5

I think you just have a working but not well wrote program

20200917_085749.jpg