New PC

PLC Pie Guy

Hey Folks.

Iv been cursed with setting up a new PC. Typically, I.T. sends me the new computers with a base image. It would normally have all the RSL5K, FTV ME and SE, Asset Center, CCW, RSL500, RSL5. The usual suspects. I would normally just update to the latest releases and off I go. Not this time. They seem to have no memory of giving such an image. Iv only been here 9 years and used half a dozen laptops now, but they seem to have gone really off the rails lately and are becoming less help as days go by. I don't know what's going on there.

My question(s) is, how do I find the serial numbers to download all the software? I suppose I need to call and ask Rockwell on each individual piece of software what the serial number is so I can download it.

Also, when it comes to Studio5K, I need some clarification. I'm reading posts here that suggest to install each from oldest to newest, I see posts that say to go the other way. Then I see posts that suggest a multiple version install file exists, although I cant find it on the AB site...

I typically don't manage computers or software, I just work on machines. I just wish I could send the computer to Rockwell and get it back loaded up with everything and up to date.

Any advice I can get will be greatly appreciated.

If you have access to a machine already set up with Factory Talk Activation Manager, open it up to get a list of licenses and take a screenshot for your serial numbers and activation keys.

I normally install the easy stuff first, and for RSLogix/Studio 5000 I always install the oldest versions first.

My advice is since you have to reinstall everything anyway, use this time to migrate to virtual machines. If you had been using VMs before, you could just copy the virtual machine over to your new computer, and would be up and going in a matter of minutes.

Back
Top Bottom