How to configure eds file for multiple data types in input/output assembly

pexlen

Been trying to work on having multiple data types in a input/output assembly similar to have a powerflex has bools for most then an INT for the "command freq"

Any help?

Not sure if I know a 100% of what you are referring of, but are you trying to make a custom EDS File?

Also, the different data types for Powerflex come from the Add-On profile as far as I know. Are you trying to add an existing market-device, or make a new device for CIP?

Hi thanks for the reply!

Trying to create a new EDS for a new CIP device.

Is it possible to create an eds where in the input/output assembly there are multiple data types? Such as int/bool/dint/etc.?

Or am I confined to a single data type?

Hello:

Normally EDS files are created by EtherNet/IP, DeviceNet, vendors. The ODVA has the so-called EZ-EDS (pronounced "Easy EDS") which is a Windows tool for the edition of EDS files. It is available for download free of charge.

To answer your question, it is possible to create assemblies that are composed of different data types, just like you describe. There is also an EDS specification which is part of the ODVA specification, but this has to be purchased from the ODVA. The easiest way to do what you want is to start from an existing EDS file. You need to change the revision of the EDS file so LogixDesigner will let you register it if you have already registered the original EDS. (Note: Something like Rev 3.0 will not cause syntax check in EZ-EDS, but you will get an error when you attempt to register with Logix. You should use something like 3.2, or 5.6 (5 for major and 6 for minor, but never 0 for minor revision).

For the change you mention, first create (or edit) the list of parameters in the parameter section. You create the parameter and assign the data type to each parameter. Then you create the assembly, assign the assembly instance and at the end add the parameters that constitute the assembly in the order they must reside within the assembly. Finally you go to the Connection session and create the IO connection. For this you need familiarity with CIP path, but if you using an existing EDS file, this section should not be changed.

The link for the EZ-EDS is below.

https://www.odva.org/subscriptions-services/software/ez-eds-download/

Thanks for the info!

Hello:

Normally EDS files are created by EtherNet/IP, DeviceNet, vendors. The ODVA has the so-called EZ-EDS (pronounced "Easy EDS") which is a Windows tool for the edition of EDS files. It is available for download free of charge.

To answer your question, it is possible to create assemblies that are composed of different data types, just like you describe. There is also an EDS specification which is part of the ODVA specification, but this has to be purchased from the ODVA. The easiest way to do what you want is to start from an existing EDS file. You need to change the revision of the EDS file so LogixDesigner will let you register it if you have already registered the original EDS. (Note: Something like Rev 3.0 will not cause syntax check in EZ-EDS, but you will get an error when you attempt to register with Logix. You should use something like 3.2, or 5.6 (5 for major and 6 for minor, but never 0 for minor revision).

For the change you mention, first create (or edit) the list of parameters in the parameter section. You create the parameter and assign the data type to each parameter. Then you create the assembly, assign the assembly instance and at the end add the parameters that constitute the assembly in the order they must reside within the assembly. Finally you go to the Connection session and create the IO connection. For this you need familiarity with CIP path, but if you using an existing EDS file, this section should not be changed.

I have been using an eds example from the “how to create EDS” Rockwell manual. Do you know if a key for the different data types? Trying to decode the hex has been a struggle so far as it makes no sense.

I have been able to compile an eds with supposedly a different data type, but it adds it as a don’t along with the others which is where I am also having issues.

Can you please post the link for this Rockwell manual? I need to have a look at it so I can understand what you mean. Also, i am confused about the statement of trying to decode the HEX. Do you mean the HEX in the LK5 project?

If you let me know the HEX data, maybe I can help you. Is it something like 20 04 20 64 30 03? If so this would be the CIP path for the assemblies that contain the data for produced and consumed data. I can explain the syntax for the CIP path in this case.

Thanks again for reply here is some more info.

Can you please post the link for this Rockwell manual? I need to have a look at it so I can understand what you mean. Also, i am confused about the statement of trying to decode the HEX. Do you mean the HEX in the LK5 project?

If you let me know the HEX data, maybe I can help you. Is it something like 20 04 20 64 30 03? If so this would be the CIP path for the assemblies that contain the data for produced and consumed data. I can explain the syntax for the CIP path in this case.

The manual I have been using can be found here: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm002_-en-d.pdf

If you download the PDF there are some attachments of example EDS files. I have been using the second one.

So here are a few examples of the data types being referenced in the EDS:
0xC8 = ?
0xD2 = ?
0xC7 = ?
ETC.

There must be some key or something that tells you what the different ones are, but not that I can find in the manual anywhere.

I have tried editing the example EDS to use different params with different data types in the assembly, but they only come into the controller tag structure as a single data type (so far SINT). So far I am unsure what I am doing wrong or what needs to be done so logix recognizes and configures the two different data types.

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum Community !

Let's take a step back. Are you building a new CIP networked device ? On which network (Componet, DeviceNet, ControlNet, EtherNet/IP) ? Is your employer a member of ODVA ?

Or are you trying to modify or improve the way another device interacts with Studio 5000, RSNetworx, or another tool ?

I think what you're asking for is an explanation of the sections of an EDS that describe the I/O assemblies so that Studio 5000 can create a complex module-defined datatype associated with the device. That is part of the "EDS base Add On Profile" feature whose reference manual you linked to.

An additional tool you should probably have is "EZ-EDS" software from ODVA, which does hex decoding and EDS verification far better than I can do it by hand.

Hey Ken!

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum Community !

Let's take a step back. Are you building a new CIP networked device ? On which network (Componet, DeviceNet, ControlNet, EtherNet/IP) ? Is your employer a member of ODVA ?

Or are you trying to modify or improve the way another device interacts with Studio 5000, RSNetworx, or another tool ?

I think what you're asking for is an explanation of the sections of an EDS that describe the I/O assemblies so that Studio 5000 can create a complex module-defined datatype associated with the device. That is part of the "EDS base Add On Profile" feature whose reference manual you linked to.

An additional tool you should probably have is "EZ-EDS" software from ODVA, which does hex decoding and EDS verification far better than I can do it by hand.

Hi Ken to answer your questions:

I am using a Raspberry PI which will use a java library(for ethernet/ip) to read/write tags to PLC.

Network will be Ethernet/IP.

I am doing this as a private project. Not working with this under an employer.

The idea is to either have the Pi act as a EIP device, or purely use explicit messaging.

Regardless, I would like something for a customer to install (EDS) that defines a tag structure which the Pi will read/write to and from.

I would like the input and output sections to have bools/sints/real/string if possible.

So far I have just been manually editing the .eds example from the book and learning that way.

I know that the Pi technically doesn't need to be setup as an EIP device in the PLC. But I need something for the customer to define a tag structure for them. Which is why I am working with the EDS.

Thanks for that context ! It sounds like a neat project. I'm sure you're aware of the various other ways to accomplish Raspberry Pi -> ControlLogix communications.

I definitely understand why you want the user to have a goof-proof way to define the tags that your application will be reading and writing.

Since the device won't be in the I/O tree (or it will have to be inhibited to prevent the controller from attempting to connect to it), then I think an EDS-based AOP is an overcomplicated approach.

In my opinion, it would be easier to create a User Defined Data Type (UDT) and just Export that as an XML file (*.L5X format) so that your users can import it and create tags with those specific sub-element names and data types.

Any I/O object or UDT will have an instance name, so you can't completely goof-proof the process and will always have to rely on a user typing in at least the basic tagname. But that's an order of magnitude simpler than relying on them to recreate a complex datatype from scratch.

Hey Ken,
I overlooked just creating a UDT that is a great idea.

2 questions:

Would it be possible to have a EDS that shows different data types in the input/output sections in the controller tags?

Would it be possible by using an EDS to shows a valid connection in the tree to a raspberry pi in the PLC IO tree. (Using as a generic ethernet device)

Thanks!

So here are a few examples of the data types being referenced in the EDS:
0xC8 = ?
0xD2 = ?
0xC7 = ?
ETC.

There must be some key or something that tells you what the different ones are, but not that I can find in the manual anywhere.

The meaning of the codes you mention are explained in Appendix C, Volume 1 of the CIP specification. This document must be purchased from the ODVA, and is available to ODVA members with subscription. I am copying the table you need below. it is not possible for me to provide the full document.

2020-10-08_CIP_Spec_C-6.1.png

Hello:

Is there a trick to having the parameters show up in Studio for the IO assemblies? I can only have them show up for the configuration assembly.