Sequence starting/stopping multiples conveyors, motors, valves, etc

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has a program in rslogix/studio 5000 for this type of application that could share.

Basically there are mutiple devices, that will start in sequence from the last to the first, having timers and watching the previous device started correctly in order to start the next one, etc

Does anyone did something similar ? and might share the UDTs, AOIs , etc ?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has a program in rslogix/studio 5000 for this type of application that could share.

Basically there are mutiple devices, that will start in sequence from the last to the first, having timers and watching the previous device started correctly in order to start the next one, etc

Thanks!

Hi, good morning!!

There are quite a few videos on YouTube from a site called PLC Professor. I've watched a few and he's pretty detailed about conveyors. I don't have time to research the link right now, but a search on YouTube ought to do it. Good luck and I hope this helps.

I just made a simular setup in a S7-1500 PLC.

The start-up sequence is pretty simple, I got a signal back from the drive telling me that the motor is running, so if the belt in front has a start signal and a feedback saying it is running, i will start the next belt.

I only give the first belt a start signal, the rest will follow

A recent thread about sequences is here.: https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=129577

@parky posted an approach that uses a simple pattern that executes this logic
  • (
    • (
      • If Step N-1 active
      • AND
      • Step N-1 is complete
    • )
    • OR
    • (
      • Step N is active
    • )
  • )
  • AND
    • Step N+1 is not active
  • THEN
    • Make Step N active
(It looks better in ladder :))

For each step, the definition of the blue [Step N-1 is complete] state above, which could be a one-shot, changes from step to step, so in OP's case it could be "Device N-1 has started" or "Timer N-1 has completed" or similar.

The pattern could be incorporated into an AOI.

That is the step handling/transition logic, which sets a bit/boolean indicating the active step.

The actions (device start, timers, etc.) driven by each of those bits would be a separate section.

Have a Group Start button that goes and sets all Motors under its control to Run.
Motor Z having its safety, etc. permissives satisfied starts.

A timer triggered by both the Run Contactor command being called, an auxiliary contactor feedback being closed.. timer hits accumulator, Set a Conveyor Z is Running bit. Conveyor Y has Z's Running bit as one of its permissive. Using both ensures we wanted the motor to run.. not that some dingbat maintenance monkey has bypassed the Aux contactor and hotwired its feedback signal.

Y starts automatically. Same rules apply for X, etc.

A fault anywhere along the line halts the affected motor dropping out the Run Contactor, which drops out the Aux. Anything preceding that motor drops out following any laid in logic you have.

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

Yes, I just had a look at it and it's bee five years since I developed and tested it but never actually used it.
It is Siemens TIA15.1 but mostly in structured text except for , I think, OB1; so it can be ported along with its UDTs.
Can not vouch for its usability or even the clarity of the code but I would be willing to test it out and write a summary of the functionality if you want it. It would take a few days as I would be doing in bits and pieces.

From memory:

Any number of motors/devices can be interlocked and/or interconnected in a master follow arrangement along with option for feedback signal. So, at least two motors can be interlocked that one can not start without the other running, or only one can run at a time, if feedback signal option is turned on then the absence of the signal stops that motor and any follower.
Something like that. All, in UDTs/DBs and the idea was to be able to configure or change the system via HMI on site.